120gal - lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intensity68

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI,

I am currently doing my homework before i set up 120 gallon (48x24x24) planted tank. I anticipate using power compact lights, but i am unsure as to number of watts to use. I want it to be bright so i can have a wide array of plants. Obvisously, CO2 injection will be set up also. I'm not sure how to figure out proper wattage with this tank so any advice from "the experts" would be greatly appreciated. :) Also, if you have a rationale behind your advice and have the time to explain, please do - I love learning!

Thanks - Kevin

480watts of light would be a good baseline.

Depends on the plants you want to keep.

Want to keep lowlight plants or highlight plants?

You can get around 440watts IN A 4bulb VHO flourescent system.

http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html

I'm not advertising hellolights, their simply the reference I could pull up the quickest.

Thanks, definitely worth looking into. Lower cost than i was looking at with power compacts. The research continues....

Just incase you didn't notice, but that link I gave you was for a retrofit kit, and not a full canopy.

You'd have to install it into a canopy you have, or build one to fit your tank to install the lights into.

That's the kit I have on my 90. I can (theoretically) grow any plant with that light, but it is HOT. you need to build your own canopy (as William said) fit it with a fan if you want tank temps below 80 (I haven't put fan in). Also, good vho light bulbs will run you $15-$25 apiece. I use two vho bulbs and 2 NO bulbs in my kit, cheaper, and the mix of bulbs works well for me.

http://ahsupply.com/index.html

A lot of folks get their lights here. If I had it to do over, I may have done this also.

First, thanks for the links. I have continued searching and pondering my options. I've been thinking of just buying 2 power compacts at 220 watts a piece - that would take care of heat problem. Or I could get a 384 watts pc but that would only put me at 3.2 wpg. Also, my thinking lately is that down the road i could use them for sw by just changing bulbs. hmmm dunno. Any thoughts about all this?

Also, I definetly want to have the potential to grow high light requiring plants so that i can get plants that have red or purple in them so i can get nice color variation when aquascaping.

First, thanks for the links. I have continued searching and pondering my options. I've been thinking of just buying 2 power compacts at 220 watts a piece - that would take care of heat problem. Or I could get a 384 watts pc but that would only put me at 3.2 wpg. Also, my thinking lately is that down the road i could use them for sw by just changing bulbs. hmmm dunno. Any thoughts about all this?

Also, I definetly want to have the potential to grow high light requiring plants so that i can get plants that have red or purple in them so i can get nice color variation when aquascaping.

LOL a triple post! My internet security keeps getting a mssql stack overflow attack on this site. Someone is hacking this sites server which bogs it down sometimes me thinks. They need to look into it. the attck is orginating from bejing china.

What if someone doesn't know how to build a hood, or anything about building...anything? :)

I may not have a canopy or hood, just a glass top or maybe none at all. I might just not put any fish in there that are known jumpers and have the pc on stands (i.e. legs). The JBJ formosa DX have these cool flip top legs for 20 dollars. I haven't made up my mind, cuz a canopy does look nice on a show tank.

Back
Top Bottom