125 Gallon???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking into getting a 90 gallon tank. That changed to a 6 foot 125 gallon tank that I will be getting eventually!!! I have done some research on fish that I will put in this tank and just want some input on my list. So here it is:

10 long finned danios
10 rummynose tetras
6 denison barbs
4 oto cats
1 angelfish
1 pearl gourami

3 bala sharks???

The bala sharks are in question!!!

I know that when the sharks grow they could potentially eat the smaller fish like the danios, otos, and tetras.

If I get the sharks last and as juveniles will/could this workout???

The tank will be heavily planted and have some driftwood.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!!!

125 gallons is big enough for one adult bala shark.

I'd say that's very debatable. Bala Sharks are very active, get very large and are very skittish.

In addition Balas do much better in schools of 6+ like most schooling fish making a 250G the typical end game tank for Bala Shark.

I'd say that's very debatable. Bala Sharks are very active, get very large and are very skittish.

In addition Balas do much better in schools of 6+ like most schooling fish making a 250G the typical end game tank for Bala Shark.

What other shark could I keep in a 125 gallon??

What other shark could I keep in a 125 gallon??

Rainbow or Red Tail are two common ones I'd investigate. I had a rainbow for years and he was great fun.

Then my tank leaked :(

I've done some research and here's what I came up with for my 125 gallon tank. Let me know if you think it could work????

5 turquoise rainbows
5 boesmani rainbows
1 bn pleco
2 angelfish
2 bolivian rams
2 keyhole cichlids
1 kribensis
3 pictus catfish
1 Bala shark

The lists order us the order I would put the fish in. I know that Bala sharks are better off in a school of 5 or more but I've heard of many people keeping them singly!!!

This tank will be planted with:
2 amazon swords (large)
1 radican sword
Some Val's
Some water wisteria
2 moss balls
Some sagittaria
Some ludwigia
1 crypt parva

It will have a couple pieces of driftwood in it and about 3-5 caves for hiding places!!!

Balas take a while to get to their unmanageable size but it's going to be difficult to rehome them at that point. Makes no sense why they are so widely accessible. Who houses these guys!? Properly at least, really a shame.

Balas take a while to get to their unmanageable size but it's going to be difficult to rehome them at that point. Makes no sense why they are so widely accessible. Who houses these guys!? Properly at least, really a shame.

So a 125 gallon isn't adequate for a Bala???

So a 125 gallon isn't adequate for a Bala???

It will be for a while but you need to think long term if it will grow out the tank then id advise against it. No one is going to take a full grown Bala so your just hurting the fish in the long run. Get yourself a rainbow or red tail shark they get pretty big but nowhere near a Bala.

+1 ditch the bala shark. it will cause nothing but problems, even more so being by itselft. i also agree, they shouldn't be so widely available considering their needs. but as with a lot of the fish in this hobby, they are sold to make money.

Why don't you forget the shark and get an eel. Tire Tracks are wonderful. You can train them to eat out of your hand. I had one for 10 years before he died. He was a little short of 2 feet long. They hide a lot during the day, but if you feed them at twilight they make a wonderful display.

I used to go over to my tank and ask my friends if they wanted to feed my fish. When they did this big eel would shoot out of hiding and go straight for the food, it scared the daylights out of them the first time it happened.

Would a rainbow or redtailed shark get along with my other stock???

Back
Top Bottom