125g freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xmattlongx

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I acquired a nice 125g tank with a stand, 2 filters, airpump, air stones, and a heater. All for $200. I'm now doing research for stocking options. I want fish that will go good with a dozen or so kuhlis, and about 4 blue rams. Also I keep hearing from people that "Glo-fish" are injected with dyes. Is there truth to this?

Awesome purchase. Glo-fish are not injected with dye. They are a man made fish though. Glo-fish are actually a type of danio I believe and the eggs were altered into different colors. They probably used dye to inject in the fish eggs but they are not dyed fish!

Nice! I actually just picked up a 125 as well, it's exciting! To clarify, glofish Are zebra danios that were originally bioengineering with jellyfish genes to get the glow affect. The glow is passed down so none of the fish on the market today are altered :)

So would a group of them be bad in 125g? In a tropical community.

Imo go with larger fish! You have a 125 gallon tank fill it with some good size fish instead of small fish.but thats just my thought. If I had a 125 I'd get some cool fish that not many people get to own because they dont have a large enough tank. Personaly my dream is a 300+ gallon in wall reef tank that is a ways down the road.

Rainbows are an option. They are colorful and peaceful. Many different ones to choose from. I have 5 tanks of them so I am kinda biased towards them:lol: If you decide on bows let me know, I have a lot of contacts for quality bows(y)

In my 125 I've got 40 neon tetra's, 20 black skirt tetra's, 4 bala sharks, 4 angels, 2 DG, 4 clown loaches, 5 cories, and 4 blue rams. It's a really cool assortment of smaller schooling fish with bigger fish that aren't really aggressive. I think you should go that route!

I think glo fish were genetically engineered so that they would glo if their habitat (a river) is polluted.

So I acquired a nice 125g tank with a stand, 2 filters, airpump, air stones, and a heater. All for $200. I'm now doing research for stocking options. I want fish that will go good with a dozen or so kuhlis, and about 4 blue rams. Also I keep hearing from people that "Glo-fish" are injected with dyes. Is there truth to this?
As far as the GloFish are concerned, that depends on whether or not they are true GloFish. True GloFish are trademarked fish that were genetically engineered by putting green flourescent proteins from jellyfish into zebra danio embryos. However, some places sell dyed fish under similar names.
Kuhlis and rams both stick to the bottom, so you can have all sorts of tankmates that just live a bit higher up in the water column. Paradise fish and rainbow fish are some examples. They would also do fine with the GloFish. :) So would any number of tetras, and even an angel would make an ok centerpiece fish IMO. There are also killifish species that are gorgeous.

Jnthn932 said:
In my 125 I've got 40 neon tetra's, 20 black skirt tetra's, 4 bala sharks, 4 angels, 2 DG, 4 clown loaches, 5 cories, and 4 blue rams. It's a really cool assortment of smaller schooling fish with bigger fish that aren't really aggressive. I think you should go that route!

That's what I wanted. I want to give smaller peaceful fish a huge tank to live their lives.

Back
Top Bottom