125g tank setup and stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I officially have the day that I'm moving to my new place and I've contacted some pet shops and I've found a 125g tank with stand for $560 and I've asked if they could set it up in the store to establish it and they agreed. So it'll get a 4 month fish less cycle before the move. And now I'm thinking of what I'd like to put in it. So far all I have is dojo loaches
So the one I have can finally get a proper home. Any suggestions? I'd like to do cichlids but I'm a little hesitant as I have no prior experience with them.

Keep calm and rock on

Wouldn't it be easier for them to just cycle the filters? I can't imagine moving that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's one of their bigger tanks and they've asked if they could use it as a display. Plus they gave me a discount omit if I let them use it as a display. I'm not going to question it because they're giving it to me half off this way and that's quite a lot of money to save

Keep calm and rock on

It's one of their bigger tanks and they've asked if they could use it as a display. Plus they gave me a discount omit if I let them use it as a display. I'm not going to question it because they're giving it to me half off this way and that's quite a lot of money to save

Keep calm and rock on

Sounds awesome, love big tanks! Just make sure no diseases are introduced when they are having it set up.

That will be tough to move. I agree it'll be a lot easier to just cycle the filters

Plus it reduces the risk of a mini cycle

IMO

Fufu

Ahh well half off is quite the deal. Can't wait to see it.

I'm still not sure of stock. I'd like to do heavily planted but I'm not sure of what kind for something that large.

Keep calm and rock on

I'm still not sure of stock. I'd like to do heavily planted but I'm not sure of what kind for something that large.

Keep calm and rock on

You could go for a Oscar with a saum, blue acara and gibbicept

Fufu

Fufu

Do those fish prefer planted or open and do they all eat live food over flake and frozen food? All except the gibbicept anyway

Keep calm and rock on

Keep calm and rock on

Fufu

Since you want planted, Oscar and a Sailfin Pleco would NOT work.

If you want Dojo Loaches, they are cool water fish and may uproot plants.

Heavily planted compatible fish ?

Angels
Cories
big schools of Tetras or a Rasbora sp
Sidthamunki Loaches
Pearl Gourami
Otos 6+
Brazilian Rams (pair)

Avoid super boisterous fish or ones that dig a lot.

I like heavily planted tanks.
fb10fce9d13c9a24b4c09d9479df8581.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you want planted, Oscar and a Sailfin Pleco would NOT work.

If you want Dojo Loaches, they are cool water fish and may uproot plants.

Heavily planted compatible fish ?

Angels
Cories
big schools of Tetras or a Rasbora sp
Sidthamunki Loaches
Pearl Gourami
Otos 6+
Brazilian Rams (pair)

Avoid super boisterous fish or ones that dig a lot.

I like heavily planted tanks.
fb10fce9d13c9a24b4c09d9479df8581.jpg

What about something like an angel and dojo with a school of 12 or so Cory cats and roughly 20 rasbora and 12 ottos? For plants what about Amazon swords along the sides Anubis and boccapo in the back hair grass in the middle with a large piece of driftwood with Java moss on it. Does that sound like something that could work?

Keep calm and rock on

Depending on budget and color preference, you could put quite a few Discus in a tank that large!

I would prefer to stay away from discus. I've heard they're hard to keep and I'm still relatively inexperienced with fish.

Keep calm and rock on

Rainbow fish are also a good choice, they are relatively medium in size, most have some sort of interesting coloration and most school...

Like the bowman rainbow and celebs rainbow? And do all species of rainbow school together or would I need to go with several schools of them?

Keep calm and rock on

What about something like an angel and dojo with a school of 12 or so Cory cats and roughly 20 rasbora and 12 ottos? For plants what about Amazon swords along the sides Anubis and boccapo in the back hair grass in the middle with a large piece of driftwood with Java moss on it. Does that sound like something that could work?

Keep calm and rock on

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weather-loach-misgurnis-anguillicaudatus

Loaches online say they should be kept in groups. These guys get big. So if you want to keep your Dojo, leave the front or middle open so they can dig in the sand.

A Dojo would decimate hair grass , uprooting it. Plus DHG is NOT a beginner plant IMHO. Does best with high light and CO2.

Durable and hardy plants would be best for Dojos.
Amazon Swords have deep roots. Anubias and Java Ferns can be tied or glued to Driftwood or rocks. Bacopa would be uprooted. Java Moss and or Moss Balls would work.

This is my 55g
3487fb3ccb1b6ffded0d736c29ce286d.jpg

More plants will be added, I haven't been home much to work with my tanks.

This was my old 10g
a6ecefff3950cad0c0f3e144897999a2.jpg

If you want to grow Bacopa it's a great plant. I'd put rocks or wood around it, so it's not so easily bashed into.

Loaches have awesome personalities, I get why you like Dojo's.

I only really suggest boccapo because I have some in my 25g with my dojo and he loves to snake his way around it. I would like to do some type of plant that grows tall and full but I only know of a few aquatic plants at the moment

Keep calm and rock on

If you're willing to do the work, most plants can be pruned and shaped to your personal preference.

Do those fish prefer planted or open and do they all eat live food over flake and frozen food? All except the gibbicept anyway

Keep calm and rock on

I don't think they are fussed. My main diet for my Oscar is pellets and frozen food treat once a week. My gibbicept eats mini algae wafers

My plants are ok with my Oscar and gibbicept. In fact my gibbicept actually cleans my plants

Although I'm sure once the Oscar grows it'll rip up plants.

A saum or acara might be a better options

I've also had bosemani rainbows and they are great. Fantastic colours

Another option would be Denison barbs (red line barbs). P.s they are a little expensive

Fufu

Bacopas are great. I have it in my tanks. B monnieri I believe.

Just realize even though your Loach can tolerate warmer tanks they actually will live longer and thrive best in a cool water set up. So you might consider Goldfish instead of tropicals.

Fancy goldfish can live in a planted tank, especially if you feed them greens and veggies.
http://youtu.be/BxDGq4rkueg

Back
Top Bottom