13 fish in 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbcrash

Aquarium Advice Activist
What If I put all 13 of my fish in a 75 gallon tank With 2 emperor 400s and a 305 and 405, fluval ? I would like some comments.

Fancy goldfish. I really want a 125. But i have 2 fluval canisters and 2 emperors

If they're juveniles it could work out for a little bit, but the max for a 75g is around 5-6.

Even with superior filtration? I already have 9 medium fancies in there now with a 305 and 2 400s. Once I get a 125, I'm putting all 13 in

Even with superior filtration? I already have 9 medium fancies in there now with a 305 and 2 400s. Once I get a 125, I'm putting all 13 in

I have 6 in my 55 for now and i have a lot of filtration and ive Been told to to upgrade numerous times.I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you would have to an insane amount of water exchanges to keep the water clear but I would keep some in the 75 and some in the 125. Put like 7-8 in the 125 and then the other 6-7 in the 75, you'd be better of doing that IMO.

Filtration does not makeup for actual water and space. Your one 55g (or is it 75g?) is already overstocked with the 9 fish in it. With all the issues your already having, this is an extremely bad idea no matter what filtration you have.

To be honest, ive never kept 'goldfish' Compared to many keepers that have 30gallon tanks packed with goldfish, your 125 is huge and almost twice the size of my biggest of 65gallon tank. 125 is a big tank and i wouldnt think twice about 12-13 goldfish in a 125. Youll just need to change abit more water each change. But what do i know.

*edit* oh you mean a 75? No i wouldnt put 13 in a 75 depending on their size, sorry i should read the thread properly.

And you have to take into consideration goldfish are 2X as messy as other fish hence the nickname "poop machines".

Opinions are going to differ on this one but ill tell you what factors make me say that many goldfish in a 75g tank is going to be an uphill battle with the odds stack against you. I know people are going to probably disagree with me. So, Here is why I say that it would be a bad idea. I know the footprint math versus number of fish would say other wise but in this case I wouldn't use that due to the Bio-load volume involved. It alone is going to put so much stress on the system and it's just going to increase as the fish grow. The maintenance most likely required for the tank is going to be not only very costly for one, with the volume of water required for the weekly maybe twice weekly changes you may need to keep everything in check. Then, factor in the time consumed on maintenance which I believe would slowly increase overtime due to fish growth.....I'm not saying it cant be done I just don't see it being sustainable in the long run.

Now, I'm only sharing the obstacles I see from my personal experience keeping fish. It's your tank! Your the one that decides whats an acceptable cost for your hobby.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Ok then either split them between the two 75s if possible, get rid of some, or try and keep up on water exchanges haha

Back
Top Bottom