130 Gallon build journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J1Time

Aquarium Advice Freak
SO here is the start of hopefully a successful build journal:

I recently decided to get back into the hobby after about a three year hiatus. I purchased a 130 gallon tank/stand/hood/lights off of Craigslist and hope to have it in the house this Friday, and start a fish-less cycle this weekend :banghead:

So What I need / to do list:

Decide substrate (thinking pool filter sand)
Choose canister filter (Ideas here?)
Get a heater
Decide tank decor and layout (no desire for live plants at this time)
Come up with a stocking list (long way from adding fish though)

Thoughts or ideas are all appreciated! Even support!

I will have pictures Friday and will keep the thread updated with them as I go.

Thanks,

J1Time
:thanks:

So question, How many pounds of sand will I need for the 130 gallon tank? I do not intend to plant it, though that's not out of the question at a later date.

Following! Like josh said, around 130lbs is needed to cover the bottom. PFS comes in 50lb bags for around 5$ each so 3 bags will do the trick.

As far as filtration, we need an idea of stock but your gonna need around 1300gph of filtration to do the job successfully.

I am going to go with the Fluval X6 for a filter. It will be stocked as a community tank. Not sure what all will be in it, but nothing larger then some Barbs I imagine. Later down the road if the X6 wont handle the bioload I will throw on a Aquaclear HOB.

Pool filter sand was my initial thought.....Then My wife brought up black sand. Hate the extra cost but my goodness its pretty.

I am going to go with the Fluval X6 for a filter. It will be stocked as a community tank. Not sure what all will be in it, but nothing larger then some Barbs I imagine. Later down the road if the X6 wont handle the bioload I will throw on a Aquaclear HOB.

Pool filter sand was my initial thought.....Then My wife brought up black sand. Hate the extra cost but my goodness its pretty.

I would go with 2 fx6s

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392820643.744868.jpg

This is a picture of the setup prior to the move. Anticipation is killer.

I figured it would be. I am a long way from having it fully stocked though. Still debating when the inside will look like. First time having a tank since having kids, so I am sure they will want their own input:lol:

I figured it would be. I am a long way from having it fully stocked though. Still debating when the inside will look like. First time having a tank since having kids, so I am sure they will want their own input:lol:

Are you gonna paint the back black?

Not sure. ideas? I have never painted a tank in the past, always just used a background tapped on:confused:

Not sure. ideas? I have never painted a tank in the past, always just used a background tapped on:confused:

Well I can asure you, painting is the way to go. It took 2 cans of krylon fusion gloss black for my 75g

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140219_094344.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140219_094344.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20140219_094413.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140219_094413.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 109
But would painting the back black be a bad idea if you decide to go with black sand? I think a black painted back would be awesome with white-ish pool sand.. Would make fish pop!

But would painting the back black be a bad idea if you decide to go with black sand? I think a black painted back would be awesome with white-ish pool sand.. Would make fish pop!

Well all black will make colors POP as well if not more because the focus is now the fish

Back
Top Bottom