15 gal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok fellow fish lovers, I love you all but I am switching my 29 gal. to the saltie side next month. I want to take my smaller 15 gal. and keep it for F/W and my girl is upgrading from her 10 to a 30 gal. F/W.

I want to know what everybody thinks is the best thing I could do with my 15 gal. I really want rams but will they be ok in a 15?probably, but How many? I can't put my 2 Yo Yo's in a 15 ha?

I can't tell you how upset I am that I have to let go of my Striped Raphael Catfish (RAY). He will not be ok in a 15 gal. so I posted him free on Craigslist. 20+ people emailed me and nobody is getting him yet. I am literally interviewing people for the fish. Hey, I care about them.

Let me know your suggestions for the 15.

Thanks

If you want rams, I'd just get a pair and then maybe some Harlequin rasboras. Don't 15g tanks have the same footprint as a 10, just taller? That's not great surface area.

Please don't put the yoyos in there...way too small.

If you decide against the ram, then I'd just get a small school of fish, like harlies, neons, lemon tetras, flame tetras, or cardinals and maybe a betta or dwarf gourami. I think 15g tanks, since they aren't very long, should just be thought of as 10g tanks when stocking, since most fish don't swim up and down. Bettas and gouramis will come to the top for air, but other fish won't so having a tall tank really isn't as good as a longer tank.

Any chance you can trade it for a 20g long? You'd have more options that way....

I know the Yo Yo's are to big. I was joking because it is hard to let go of them and the Raphael ya know? They are the same footprint as a 10. You don't think I could do 4 Rams in there. I am a stickler for water quality and it would be heavily planted. Most of the other fish you mentioned I am not into. I always had aggressive fish before. With this tank I went with a semi-aggressive community of Tiger Barbs, Yo Yo's, and the Raphael.

I was joking because it is hard to let go of them and the Raphael ya know?
I understand. I know it would be hard for me to let go of any of my fish. Even the tetras.

I just think the tank is too small for 4. Rams stay on the bottom and I don't think the tank has enough room for them to all stake out their territories. Even with it being heavily planted.

Get more advice on this though, as I'm not a pro at fish keeping but I do know a little about stocking tanks.

Rams are not bottom dwellers. They are midle to top dwellers. In a tall tank like the 15g I'd go with a trio of rams. 1m/2F and maybe a pair of Apisto's for the bottom along with a cory or two are asmall pleco like the rubber lip or brisanl nose. Then throw in a small school of 5 or 6 tettra's

Back
Top Bottom