15 litre pyrex jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was thinking off building one.

Then I realised that I have no time to find the materials, working 12 hours 6 days a week lol.

Think I'll just spend the extra wages on one and save the effort lol!

Lighting is gonna be tough, was thinking LED strips but don't know where to start :(

Was thinking off building one.

Then I realised that I have no time to find the materials, working 12 hours 6 days a week lol.

Think I'll just spend the extra wages on one and save the effort lol!

Lighting is gonna be tough, was thinking LED strips but don't know where to start :(
LEDWholesalers sells a 5500-6500K light strip that is 16 feet long and cuttable for less than 40 bucks!

im definitely following this. this is an awesome idea, good luck :)

GodFan said:
LEDWholesalers sells a 5500-6500K light strip that is 16 feet long and cuttable for less than 40 bucks!

40?!

That's kinda defeating my plan for a cheap set up lol.

I'll have to spend some time researching lighting from the looks, if all fails maybe an LES desk lamp?

Sounds cool! Only suggestion I have is to not fill it to the top (into the neck of the bottle). Leaving the water level lower will leave more surface area for oxygen exchange.

Mumma.of.two said:
Sounds cool! Only suggestion I have is to not fill it to the top (into the neck of the bottle). Leaving the water level lower will leave more surface area for oxygen exchange.

Yea I figured that, I'm planning in filling it to the starting of the fluting.

Probably around 12 litres when complete.

Also I have seen a few underwater spotlights that look good, but I may decide on an exterior lamp to save space inside.

Planning in getting a large java fern and attaching it to a rock to keep it in place, may use black gravel from my main tank to keep cost down for now.

Also!! Do you know if RCS' eat diatoms? Cos I have a few rocks covered in em lol.

Couple of lighting tests using hang on Rolson LED system (have a few around the house)

Think with one more I'll have the desired look!

Attachments

• image-3978423571.jpg
    image-3978423571.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3707639141.jpg
    image-3707639141.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3754720144.jpg
    image-3754720144.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image-843372966.jpg
    image-843372966.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 98
Wait! Isn't pyrex tempered? I know all the glass bakeware they make is, and the beakers we used in highschool were... It would suck to start cutting it and have it shatter into a million bits :(

KlcoKN said:
Wait! Isn't pyrex tempered? I know all the glass bakeware they make is, and the beakers we used in highschool were... It would suck to start cutting it and have it shatter into a million bits :(

Getting a professional opinion on the cutting front before any action is taken! Lol :)

But yea I think it is tempered, hopefully I can cut it.

Either that or modify the filter?

As far as i know tempered glass can't be cut without heating it to near molten temps and cutting it while its hot, so unless you know someone with a forge modding or making a new filter would probably be cheaper/easier :) But on the plus side if you do decide to try cutting it and it doesn't go right, you still have a spare :)

KlcoKN said:
I'm glad you found a way for the filter to fit :) Make sure to keep us updated with pics!

I'll be flooding pics once I get everything put together :D

Gonna look for air pumps and maybe cheap lighting? Cos I'm going back to Scarborough to see le Gf this weekend :D

fishyperson3010 said:
It's going to be awesome when it's finished

Once the order arrives I'll be setting it up an start the cycle with some gravel from my current tank :)

Hope to have shrimp pretty soon, wanna start em breeding an plan to sell em as no LFS stocks em.

Back
Top Bottom