15 watt light to much for 10 gallon tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Volker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
Because my 46 gallon is delayed we went out to get a 10 gallon tank set with Whisper 10 filter and a 20" flurescent hood with 15 watt.
At the moment we got 9 tetra ( 3 phanton, 3 red eye, 3 longfin serpae).

(Even they will all move to the big tank in a couple weeks, would you consider it crowded or does it have a little more space for a few more ? The 10 gallon will later be used as a QT)

My main question however:
When I turn the light on, all Tetra move to the ground and swim around there. Do I turn off the lights they move all over the tank.

At the moment I got gray gravel ("pure water pebbles") and 2 rainbox stones with holes which are used for swim throughs.

Please advice,
Thanks Volker[/i]

15 Watts isn't too much. What I do is turn on the main room light about a half hour before I turn on the tank lights. This allows the fish to adjust to light slower. When I turn on the main lights without the room lights, the fish seem spooked by it.

If it is a temporary situation, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks Fishyfanatic !
You were right, it was temporary. About 4 hours after my post they took on the middle and bottom part.
Everything is fine :)

Thanks again.
Volker

No problem Volker. I wouldn't add any more new fish until the new tank is setup and cycled. Then transfer the Tetras over and slowly add more. If you have any more questions, just ask. :)

Back
Top Bottom