150 gallon aquarium species ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just acquired a 150 gallon aquarium and can't figure out what to put in it I have several weeks left before it is finished cycling I was either thinking of getting an Arowana with a couple of semi large fish that the Arowana could co habit peacefully with.or having a cichlid tank but am not sure if anybody has any ideas or input on this subject that would be great
Fish lord over and out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm looking for an eyeturner or a community tank not really a single species tank

I'm looking for an eyeturner or a community tank not really a single species tank

You can put way more than clown loaches in, they make great community fish. Just suggesting them as a centerpiece. Trust me, 15 clown loaches at 8-12 inches is an eye-turner.

OK thank you :) what kind of size do they grow too?

Sorry, but 15 fish that grow up to 1 foot each piled ontop of each other in a 6-7 ft tank isn't what I would call an eye turner, at least not in a good way.

Fish lord, what are you looking for mostly? 1-2 big center piece type fish that you can consider a wet pet, or a thriving community with various species and a high number of inhabitants?

I'm not really sure I'm in two minds of 1-2 large fish or a community tank with cichlids and other species that can co-habit I wouldn't be too keen on extremely aggressive fish that's why I'm not sure on the arowana.i was considering a small freshwater stingray and an arowana they both have homes they can go too if they outgrow the tank so that's not an issue.any help/ideas would be nice.im unsure on what would mix with cichlids well

How big would they get and how many would go in a 150 gallon aquarium?
Thanks

You should do a fairly aggressive larger African fish only tank. Examples:

Elephant nose
Baby whale
Dolphin mormyrid
African butterfly fish
African leaf fish
Leopard ctenopoma
African knifefish
Ropefish
Bichir

Not sure if all of those are compatible with eachother but some of them would definately work.

I like community... I'm all about variety and smaller fish though....

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
10g betta, nano fish, shrimp
3g betta

They some lovely ideas there I would triple check they are compatible I'm swaying more towards community as variety is always nice

Just searched up.

6x elephant nose
4x African butterfly fish
2x African leaf fish
2x leopard ctenopoma
1x ropefish
2x Delhezi bichir

This would work fine and with excellent filtration capacity you would only be 22% stocked.

African knife gets huge. If you look closely in the background behind the lungfish you will see a physically handicapped African knife. This tank is a 300g just for reference. Holds the lungfish, African knife, silver Aro, and a marbled sailfin catfish. It's owned by one of my LFS. They consider this tank fully stocked and say they wouldn't dare adding more fish to it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429823936.138595.jpg

I would like colour and vibrance as well these are all great ideas you all have so far.i want to get this tank perfect.reef isn't an option as I really don't have the time to maintain it

15 clown loaches was probably a little hyperbolic, but you could still have a school of them in that tank. 5 or 6 would be good.

African knife gets huge. If you look closely in the background behind the lungfish you will see a physically handicapped African knife. This tank is a 300g just for reference. Holds the lungfish, African knife, silver Aro, and a marbled sailfin catfish. It's owned by one of my LFS. They consider this tank fully stocked and say they wouldn't dare adding more fish to it.

View attachment 270780

That's a clown knife, they're southeast asian, not african knife fish. There are african species that stay smaller, like the brown knife

Back
Top Bottom