150 gallon semi-aggressive freshwater build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rigo_s197

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, I’m making the move and I’m building a 150 gallon freshwater semi-aggressive tank. These are the fish I have chosen up to now African butterfly fish
Leaf fish?
Leopard ctenopoma
Needle nose gar
Peacock Eel
False Zebra Pleco
Red tail shark
Now, any tips, anything I can get from any of these fish I will greatly appreciate, this is my first time going semi aggressive right now I have a 55 gallon planted community tank I’ve had for about 5 years, any input I can get I’ll greatly appreciate, thanks!

You have listed many fish on your wish list that are rarely discussed on AA. In particular:
African Leaf fish, Spotted Climbing Perch, Needle Nose Gar, Peacock Eel and the False Zebra Pleco. You have the potential to have a tank that is somewhat unique.
Full disclosure, I've not kept any of the listed fish, but I do have a little knowledge about them.
The Leaf fish, Climbing Perch and Gar are not semi-aggressive, but are true ambush predators. On the bright side they are cool looking fish that don't grow very big. Ambush predators don't usually tolorate
others of their own kind. I've seen tanks where several Gars were kept together. I'm definitely not your go to guy reference Eels, but believe the particular one you want is a good community species, that can grow relatively large. I believe the noted False Zebra Pleco is a typical wood knawer. It's a much better buy than the $200 it would take to buy a true Zebra.
There is a lot of space to fill in a 150 gal. Tank. Other than the Eel, the other fish might only reach 6" - 8", and that might take 2 or 3 years. With a tank that size there are so many possible semi aggressive community combinations. Be sure to research South & Central American Cichlids, Large Tetras, Synodontis Catfish, Botia Loaches, ect. Good luck with your project.

The me a lot for the input! I am definitely seeking a unique oddball tank, I really do appreciate the info!

Does anyone recommend any nice species that will be compatible with these and school?

If the African butterfly[a fish I know]is not another name for the African leaf fish then don't get it .
It will not live long in tank of predators or even come close to matching up. They are about as fragile as fish get....
Look into Polyepturus sp. for an oddball that can handle your crowd.
As far as schooling fish go most are snacks for the fish you have chosen [why they school]…
But Denison barbs school /shoal pretty good ,look great[they will add some color to your tank] and can get to 6 inches pretty easy in 6 foot tank.. One of my favorites although not aggressive or predatory at all.

Back
Top Bottom