155 gal - what do I need???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I may have an opportunity to get a 155 gallon tank cheap. What are the pros and cons of this size?

Are there things I need to be aware of, watch for??

First of all watch for Leaks a longer heavier tank is easier to spring in moving it.

Check the sealant real good before filling it with water then just put a couple inches in at first to make sure the bottom does not leak (it will be much easier and quicker to remove a couple inches than a couple feet and with alot less mess)

Make sure your heater or heaters are up to the task 3 to 5 watts per gallon.

Make sure the stand is sturdy as well as level before putting the tank on it and filling it.

Make sure beforehand that your floor can hold the weight.

Think out just were exactly you wish to place the Tank as it will be a pain to move later when you decide you wish it was somewere other than where you put it.

Watch to see if direct sunlight shines onto the wall were you plan on placing your tank before you place the tank it can become a algae factory if you don't.

Pro's:

#1 Larger Tanks are more forgiving than smaller Tanks IE: their temperature and chemical balance does not fluctuate as quickly as smaller Tanks.

#2 You have more choice as to what and how many Fish you can keep.

#3 Less problems with Territorial disputes in your Tank.

Those are just three Pro's

Con's:

#1 Take up more room.

#2 Weight can be a huge factor depending on the kind of floor that is in your dwelling as well as your floors condition.

#3 Bigger Filters, Light Bulbs, Heaters, and other Equipment and supplies are more costly.

All in all IMHO a larger tanks Pro's by far outweigh the Con's.

I have 2 large tanks over 100 gals. As mentioned check for leaks by filling and watching.

Get cannister filters and have at least 2 with a turn over of at least 10-15 times. I would get 2 300 watt heaters and put them on both ends.

I find the larger tanks much more stable once they are established. I have several smaller tanks as well.

With bigger tanks you have a much larger variety of fish you can keep. You can also keep much larger fish.

Fresh water or saltwater?

The costs as you go up in size aren't small increases they are significant. If it's salt water the amount of live rock and filtration is a major investment, not to talk about the lighting. You also need more fish and other critters to make the tank look "Full" if you don't it looks barren. I did a 210 once and it took a lot of work.

Fresh water or saltwater?

The costs as you go up in size aren't small increases they are significant. If it's salt water the amount of live rock and filtration is a major investment, not to talk about the lighting. You also need more fish and other critters to make the tank look "Full" if you don't it looks barren. I did a 210 once and it took a lot of work.

I believe it is FW as it is in the FW section.

I'll 2nd the 2 canister filters and 300W heaters (I like the inline), with one for each end.

I would like to add, large pieces of driftwood.

Also, I would not worry about the tank looking empty at first. A school of zebra danios can make anything look full for not much bank.

How about transporting it?

You need 4 good friends & a pickup truck.

Also, make sure you have room for it ... not just your final location <make sure that can support about 1500 lbs!> but also access .... measure out the exact dimension & then measure the doors, stairs, hallways, etc to make sure you can get it there ... if in doubt, make a cardbox template & try it.... I had to pass on a cheap big tank once because there is no way to negotiate the tank down my basement stairs.

I am going to have to get my addiction in line with my reality. I think I will wait before making the decision. Thanks for the quick responses.

If the tank is a good deal then jump on it, if you don't you will regret it later. The bigger the tank the larger the options you have for stocking fish and the type of fish you stock. A larger tank will be able to remain stable longer than a smaller tank. This comes at a cost though, you will need more filters, lights, substrate, water, energy, and time to get it up and running. Depending on what you want to stock it with and if it is drilled a sump is usually the best direction to go for filtration. If not a couple canisters (XP3 or similar) or one larger canister (FX5) and a HOB (AC 110) would work. All depends on what you want stock it with. I have a bare 180gal tank with 2x XP3s and a AC110 - stocked with 6 Bichirs 8-12 inches each (Ornates, Laps, Endlis), 2 Florida Spotted Gars (8-9 in and 11-12 in), and temproraliy a 7-8 Chocolate Cichlid and 8-9 in Leichardi Arowana (Australian).

oh my... how much do you guys think a 180 will weigh? about 400 lbs?
I always used 8 lbs per gallon tho I THINK its 8.3 lbs per gallon. 8 X 180 = 1400+ lbs... so id say with fish, and tank, and everyhitng else at least 1600 lbs :D

i meant empty... i know full with everything itll be about 2500 lbs and the floor has been HEAVILY reinforced... one of the advantages of building a house i can plan for these things way in advance

Back
Top Bottom