15gal Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15gal freshwater planted tank with a Fluval U2 (up to 30gal) filter. I am also diligent with my water changes.
Currently I have 4 Serpae Tetras, 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Amano Shrimp, 1 Fire Dwarf Gourami and a Clown Pleco(grows to ~2in).

The guy at my local pet shop said I could still add 4 cherry barbs OR 4 neon tetras and possibly look into getting a small catfish(s) to feed on the bottom.

I wanted a second opinion because I do not want to overstock my tank. Currently the fish are extremely happy/spunky and healthy:).

Just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Cheers!

Instead of corys what do you think about a some ottos?

Your stock is bumping on full IMO.

If you must add more, you really should consider completing your schools of tetras and rasboras. They are schooling fish and really should be kept in groups of six or more for optimum well being.

Reactions: gre
Your stock is bumping on full IMO.

If you must add more, you really should consider completing your schools of tetras and rasboras. They are schooling fish and really should be kept in groups of six or more for optimum well being.

That is a good idea. My plants however are starting to accumulate algae and oto's are supposed to be great at cleaning them off. Can I add a single oto given my current stock or do I need to add more than one?

That is a good idea. My plants however are starting to accumulate algae and oto's are supposed to be great at cleaning them off. Can I add a single oto given my current stock or do I need to add more than one?
You really should add at least 2. I agree that you are getting pretty full though. You have some very active schoolers there.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

Before I added the rasboras the serpaes did nip at the dg. However, since I added the school of rasboras it has decreased tremendously. I still catch a serpae nip at him occasionally but not nearly as bad. That was one of my reasons for hoping to add some neon tetras. However maybe my tank is too tiny.

Before I added the rasboras the serpaes did nip at the dg. However, since I added the school of rasboras it has decreased tremendously. I still catch a serpae nip at him occasionally but not nearly as bad. That was one of my reasons for hoping to add some neon tetras. However maybe my tank is too tiny.
Keep an eye on that in the future. In general, it is not recommend to keep serpaes with gouramis because of their nippy tendencies. But, if you have a set-up where its working, thats good. If you up the serpae school to 6, it might get even better. If you want to keep it where it is, thats fine too. I do recommend getting 2 more rasboras though. :) And if you want 2 otos, I think that would be ok, but you should make sure to keep up with the pwc IMO. :)

Reactions: gre
Back
Top Bottom