16 gallon redo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 3 month old stable 16 gal system planted with amazon sword and 2 other mystery plants no co2 no ferts black sand and a 10 watt red light for plant growth.

My plants are dead and my aqua scape looks really bad.

I want a redo but what do I need?

Some fish!

Ok, but really... I just learned that amazon swords are root feeders and do much better with some kind of root tabs. I added some to my tanks and my swords are looking much better!

I like the black sand - if it were my tank I would keep the sand and add some cool craggy rocks. And move the plants around so they aren't spaced out so evenly. Think triangles.

Is one of the mystery plants a "ribbon plant"? It has white stripes along the leaf? If so, pull it out and toss it- it's not really an aquatic plant so will eventually die.
That's just my two cents!

you seem liek you might need to up your light wattage 10watts in a 16 gallon seem really low...even for low light plants o-o

also i would also reccommend adding some ferts and fish. both benefit the plants somewhat by giving nutrients

If your tank has screw in socket you should swap for CFLs try for at least 30 watts total if your fixture is rated that high. If not, for now go as many watts near 30 as you can.

Get around 6,500K bulbs. Doesn't have to be exact, but that has the most useable light.

A red incandescent won't help plants at all.

I grow lots of plants using CFLs.

Keep up on water changes also. You can add Flourish Comprehensive 1x weekly after water change.

Root tabs are good :)

I have fish and it's 60 litres in my country. I want to add 2 15 watt normal fluorescent tubes my lfs only stock liquid ferts and I want 2 add those under gravel bubbles those long tube thingies but will this just blow my sand every where? I'm going to get about 5 or 6 more plants and add a piece of drift wood il add the pics in 30 mins:)

Shane l said:
I have fish and it's 60 litres in my country. I want to add 2 15 watt normal fluorescent tubes my lfs only stock liquid ferts and I want 2 add those under gravel bubbles those long tube thingies but will this just blow my sand every where? I'm going to get about 5 or 6 more plants and add a piece of drift wood il add the pics in 30 mins:)

Fluorescent tubes. T8s ? Still get 6500K. The Kelvin rating is spectrum. Still check the wattage rating on the hood. Two 24watt tubes could also work well.

Undergravel bubble wands won't work in a sand tank. Not unless you keep them above the sand.

driftwood that you find should be soaked in water and put aquarium salt in it to get rid of any bad bacteria or parasites that may still be lingering inside o-o

Back
Top Bottom