I've been a bad boy. I've been keeping fish for almost twenty years and haven't tested the water more than a handful of times and even THAT was only simple pH and ammonia testing when I first started way back when.
Anyway, I've been trying to keep plants for little while now and I started to make some changes based on what I've been learning from here and the books I bought. I'm setting up a new tank for my medium light tank, but I would sill like to keep my low-light 55 planted. I tested the water the other night with an AP master kit and I came up with the following:
pH = 6.6
Nitrate = 160+ppm
(the chart stops at 160 and the vial seemed darker than that last block)
Nitrite = 0ppm
Ammonia = 0ppm
I went out the next day and bought a sachet of Nitro-sorb and put in the Fluval last night. The instructions said it will absorb about 10-12 ppm
every 24 hours until saturated. Of course, I can recharge it, if necessary.
My question is, can I drop the nitrate TOO fast and shock the fish?