17g and bn pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
I don't think your 17 gal is large enough for a ram. What else is in the 70? I don't see why not...

The tank is big enough to add the oto's as well, but what kind of filtration do you have on there? If it's a sort of stock kit type aquarium it is likely only filtered well enough to stock lightly.

Mixing a gourami and a betta doesn't sound like a great idea in a 17 gal to be honest with you. I do have a male dwarf gourami and a female betta in a heavily planted 29 gal, but they certainly aren't friends. She has just the right personality and she lets him run the show, and there are tons of hiding places, so it works out OK, but it's not something I generally would recommend.

The 70 currently has
One rts
One dwarf gourami
One female Betta (to be honest the sookiest Betta I've ever met)
3 bristlenose pleco (soon to be 4)
5 male guppy
4 black skirt tetra ( going to be 8-12 )
7 peppered cories
2 neon rainbow fish (have 4 more on order)
Planning on adding one golden gourami

The 17 has
10 neon tetras
8 guppy fry about the same size as neons (going to my LFS as soon as they have the space)
One 1 inch bristlenose (I WILL BE MOVING HIM TO MY 70g as soon as I know he won't get sucked into my canister.)
I'm moving the betta to this tank because she is getting picked in by my RTS.
The dwarf gourami is going to the 17 because I'm getting the larger one for the 70g.

I'm not sure about keeping the Rts because he's getting territorial (he was my first fish so in kinda attached)

The 17g has 2 filters
A HOB 300L/h and
A internal power filter thing with sponge and floss in the bottom.

I hope that all makes sense :)

It sounds like you are doing good, careful stocking. Bummer about your shark. I have heard that they can get pretty mean. rainbow sharks are supposed to less aggressive. Does he pick on the corys at all, or just the betta?

absolutangel04 said:
It sounds like you are doing good, careful stocking. Bummer about your shark. I have heard that they can get pretty mean. rainbow sharks are supposed to less aggressive. Does he pick on the corys at all, or just the betta?

Hes started chasing the gourami this week but before that the only fish he's ever picked on is the betta. Poor little thing has a torn tail from trying to get away.

Well, you can see if it gets better after the betta is gone, but there are never guarantees when dealing with live animals.

absolutangel04 said:
Well, you can see if it gets better after the betta is gone, but there are never guarantees when dealing with live animals.

I'm hoping it will but he'll probably take his aggression out one someone else then. And I forgot to add there is a angel fish in the 70. I always forget about him coz he's so so small.

absolutangel04 said:
Do you have a place for your guppies to go once your angel gets bigger, or are you going to chance it?

I think I'm just going to chance it. The angel is so small at the moment that he won't be a threat for a while. The guppies are all male and I'm not getting any more so no more fry. Been there done that!

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. As long as you know the risks. :)

Thanks. I do. If one gets eaten/killed I will promptly remove the others. :) he's tiny ATM so I will handle it when the time comes.
Here is a bad pick of him next to a 1 inch black skirt. I don't notice him much of the the time because he blends right in with the tetras. Lol.
image-3447769927.jpg

How strange, I've had the same experience. I have an albino rainbow shark who is the nicest guy in the world until introduced to any type of labyrinth fish. It's so weird. He ignores everything else in his path but, if it's a betta or gourami, he gets aggresive.

siva said:
How strange, I've had the same experience. I have an albino rainbow shark who is the nicest guy in the world until introduced to any type of labyrinth fish. It's so weird. He ignores everything else in his path but, if it's a betta or gourami, he gets aggresive.

That is strange. Something about them must offend the sharks. He'll have to get over it because the only labyrinth fish in there soon will be a gourami twice his size!

Back
Top Bottom