180 gal tank build... Day 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vengitto

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, just picked this beast up from a guy selling it on Craigslist for $250.... Gonna get to work on a stand first.

Sent from my XT1064 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425087351040.jpg
    1425087351040.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 1425087383013.jpg
    1425087383013.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 177
sump suggested?

Yeah, I was only looking for a 120 gal, but when he asked for 250 I couldn't help but grab it.
Not sure what size tank I should use for a sump.... any suggestions?

It's rare to use a sump on freshwater. Just doesn't seem practical to me, in saltwater it houses all your extra stuff like protein skimmers and stuff I just don't see the need for a sump in freshwater unless it's a massive like 400+ gallon tank.

I would stick to canisters. Fluval, Cascade, and SunSun are good brands.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's rare to use a sump on freshwater. Just doesn't seem practical to me, in saltwater it houses all your extra stuff like protein skimmers and stuff I just don't see the need for a sump in freshwater unless it's a massive like 400+ gallon tank.

I would stick to canisters. Fluval, Cascade, and SunSun are good brands.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Really depends on what your stock is going to be. If he/she is keeping Oscars as I seen in another thread a sump is the way to go. You can run massive amounts of bio media and keep live plants in it to help with the nitrates. also hide the heater in there.

Really depends on what your stock is going to be. If he/she is keeping Oscars as I seen in another thread a sump is the way to go. You can run massive amounts of bio media and keep live plants in it to help with the nitrates. also hide the heater in there.

Hmm good to know! I just have never really heard of them used on freshwater unless the tank was huge.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well, it is a 180gal... for me THAT IS HUGE lol

Well that would be huge for me too lol my biggest is 75. But like Mike said unless you have some big messy fish like oscars or Red belly pirañas or Pacu I don't see a need for it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have a 180 with a sump and canisters and I wish I had only went with canisters 1 because it's loud having the overflow. 2 because it's loud and really not the best choice for freshwater IMO. I have 2 Fluval 405 canisters and an eshopp 200 wd sump with a mag nine pump and it is more then I need. The only reason I used a sump was my tank had overflows. Yours doesn't so I would stick with the quiet setup if I was u. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you Lostinfish... I have heard arguments both ways as far as the noise from a sump... I think I will experiment and see how it goes. I know I will definitely be getting the canisters. Gonna try one canister/sump first and see how it works out... Those things are costly lol.

Yup it's a 150... The guy thought it was a 180... But I'm happy with it.

Stand and canopy coming along...

Attachments

• 1425699447025.jpg
    1425699447025.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 170
Yup it's a 150... The guy thought it was a 180... But I'm happy with it.

Yeah definitely. That's the size I have and I love it. I like the extra width of the 180 but the height of 150's is awesome for viewing. Looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom