1st post thank you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongbob_tbone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello thank you for hopefully helping me I have a 75 gallon long freshwater tank using a aquatop canister with UV and also a marineland outside filter with dual paddle wheels .I apologize for not knowing exact names for them .tank has been running for abought 10 weeks now and I have been having a blast .My new buddy's are 4 small clown loach 2 rainbow guppies 2 male dalmation Molly's a tiger loach a black ghost knife and my buddy spongebob a betta .everybody gets along temp is 75 f and my chemicals are great pH 7.0 ammonia like 0 nitrate almost 0 BUT NITRITE is pegged purple had checked by multiple sources .I have added seachem prime added a nitritesorb bag have cleaned that gravel too the point I'd eat it !!!! Lol have done multiple water changes .My tap water is low on nitrite have tested several times .my local store says leave it alone and don't panic .Why is it doing this ??? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20150314_074222868.jpg
    IMG_20150314_074222868.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 68
You are going to have stock issues. Both the clown loaches and knife fish get huge. Your guppys will be knife fish food.
You are also not cycled. If you were the nitrites would turn to nitrates even If you had nitrites in your tap water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How fast did you add all these fish? You probably overloaded your bioload and the bacteria need to catch up, that's IF you cycled the tank.

Also, please return the BGK. Go look at a full size one on YouTube in a 75g. They look cramped ALONE. They are giant fish and need tons of space. Clown loaches Will eventually need a bigger tank as well, but they grow very slow so you have time.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You are going to have stock issues. Both the clown loaches and knife fish get huge. Your guppys will be knife fish food.
You are also not cycled. If you were the nitrites would turn to nitrates even If you had nitrites in your tap water

He could be cycled but if he added all these fish within a close proximity then it will overwork the bacteria till they can catch up to the bioload.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Also the uv could be harming the bacteria you want to grow. Aquatop built in uv is pretty week so might not be harming but you never know.

Also the uv could be harming the bacteria you want to grow. Aquatop built in uv is pretty week so might not be harming but you never know.

I'm not familiar with how those filters work but UV will kill whatever comes through it good and bad. If they are shining on filter pads/media you could be right.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I relise abought loach and knife and guppies were crash test dummies . I will be giving the loaches a new home eventually too my friend who has more tanks than a local shop lol he has no life lol .I was big time into this 25 years ago with a nice collection almost near what I have now . thank you

The aquatop is same as sun sun which I have. Uv is so week thAt not sure if strong enough to kill stuff. Tbo I keep it switched off

Wouldn't cleaning the gravel also be a problem because he's losing the BB? Or would he have enough in the filter media?

99% of BB live in the filter. That's great you keep the gravel so clean. Keep it up along with water changes and u will have great water quality as long as ur not overstocked

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You have Spongebob's house on the wrong side of Squidward's... And where's Patrick's rock?!

Back
Top Bottom