2-25% weekly PWC. Too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal tank and have acquired a few new big poopers. It it too much to do a 25% PWC on Sunday and a 25% PWC on Wednesday with gravel vac? Will that change the parameters too much? Should it be a 50% once a week? I got so much waste out of my tank yesterday and the new fish had only been in there for 5 or 6 days. I see quite a bit of poop on the gravel since yesterday when I did their fasting. I would like to add more fish.

Tank:
20G
2 male sunrise guppies
2 female sunrise guppies
5 cories
1 apple snail

1484590083522.jpg

No, that's fine for weekly changes

I do about the same, as I vacuum the bottom of my tank each weekend:)

Often times gravel will collect waste over time that you miss. Be sure to vacuum really good.

That should be fine though. Ive done as much as 75% twice a week.

meg...

Larger, less frequent water changes are the best. The reason, is simple. It takes time for waste material to dissolve in the tank to the point that it will stress your fish. By removing most of the tank water every week, there isn't enough time for the waste to build to a toxic level, before you remove it through the water change. The toxins left in the old that remains in the tank, is diluted to a very safe level in all the new, treated tap water.

B

You need more female guppies or the males will harass them to death.
I may get another female. If they can get me a female. They kind of didn't want to get me more last time cause they're hard to catch. But also I couldn't really take more than 3 extra to get the tank restocked.

meg...

Larger, less frequent water changes are the best. The reason, is simple. It takes time for waste material to dissolve in the tank to the point that it will stress your fish. By removing most of the tank water every week, there isn't enough time for the waste to build to a toxic level, before you remove it through the water change. The toxins left in the old that remains in the tank, is diluted to a very safe level in all the new, treated tap water.

B
So can I just stay with a 25 once a week but vac well? I can't get 10G out of my tank at one time. I have really been getting between 6-8 out at once. But can't get the flow for 10.

Looks like you have all plastic plants? I'd think 20-25% per week would be fine. It really depends on the bioload on the ecosystem. Assuming your cycle is working properly, I'd aim to keep nitrates at no more than 20ppm, since you don't need it for plants. (Others, of course, might be comfortable with different levels.) A good gravel vac during the water change helps a lot.

meg...

You have bottom material and other things in the tank, so you don't have 20 gallons of water. Just try to remove most of the tank water weekly. The toxic water that's left is diluted to a safe level in all the new water.

I learned years ago that the longer the old tank water stays in the tank, the more it changes chemically for the worse. Water that constantly moves through a filtering system, soon loses trace elements and oxygen can no longer mix with it. So, the fish can become stressed, even if you have just a few. Water changes replace trace elements the fish need for good health and oxygen mixes more easily in pure water.

B

meg...

You have bottom material and other things in the tank, so you don't have 20 gallons of water. Just try to remove most of the tank water weekly. The toxic water that's left is diluted to a safe level in all the new water.

I learned years ago that the longer the old tank water stays in the tank, the more it changes chemically for the worse. Water that constantly moves through a filtering system, soon loses trace elements and oxygen can no longer mix with it. So, the fish can become stressed, even if you have just a few. Water changes replace trace elements the fish need for good health and oxygen mixes more easily in pure water.

B
Got it! Thanks. :) I need to get a full test kit soon. My tubes disappeared a while back for my liquid kit. Drives me up the wall cause it's not cheap. But I believe my levels are good all around. My tank stays pretty consistent.

Back
Top Bottom