2.5 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

kansaschick08

well...im gunna set up my 2.5 gal tank again..i have a 10 gal already set up...im thinking that i want to put a crowntail betta in my 2.5, what other fish are compatible with that one? i dont want him to be lonely. in my 10 gal i have like 6 mollies and a red eyed tetra and a C.A.E. they seem all happy together.

You already know that your 10 gal is overstocked.
I keep a 2.5 gal for hospital purposes only. If you get a betta, he will be perfectly fine in that tank--bettas did not evolve with other fish around. Definitely add some java moss for him to make a "bed" in and you will have one happy betta!

if keeping a small tank for qt purposes only, would it be ok to grow plants and keep a betta in it? or maybe just plants?

Usually, I keep the tank in the closet--it's too tempting to put fish in it! Keep in mind when a tank is needed as a hospital tank, the meds are going to mess with the plants, bacteria in the filter and any fish in the tank. Of course, you would take the betta out when medicating or QTing other fish, but then, where do you put the betta?

Oh yah... Just curious, cuz i was thinking if i setup a qt tank i would want to have something going on when the fishes arent sick. maybe it would be best to put it in the closet... lol, outta sight, outta mind.

how is my 10gal overtocked? there is only 8 fish....and they arent that big

They will get bigger--Mollies will reach 2-3 inches and then the tank will be quite full, plus the CAE doesn't stop at an inch!

I truly would not put a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. I've seen these tanks and they are a bit too small. To thrive, a betta must be in a tank that is big enough for a heater and a filter. I've kept a betta briefly in an Eclipse 3 tank (3 gallons), and this is fine for a betta, but you probably need to adjust the filter current somehow. I have my bettas now in 5 gallon tanks. They have a 25-watt heater and a sponge filter. They also have clumps of java moss, and they love the moss. Bettas do not get lonely, and a lot of them prefer to be alone. I know that some bettas do ok in a community tank. I would only try this, IMO, in a tank of about 20 gallons. That way the betta has plenty of room to get away from tankmates if he wants to. I wouldn't put another fish in with my bettas in their 5 gallon tank. I did try one ghost shrimp in each tank, and the betta barely noticed the shrimp. But the shrimp died, probably due to my water being too soft. So I didn't add any more tankmates.

you can keep a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank but they are much happier and healthier in at least a 5gal tank.

It gives them more room to swim and be happy.

Would you like it if someone put you in your closet for the rest of your life?
Thats what the betta would feel like.

Im not trying to sound like a jerk here, just an example.

no i wouldnt like it..the fish lady at walmart said that those little hexigonal "tanks" are ok for them to be in. and shes an avid fish owner too. (so she says) she also told me that before they were shiped they just flopped around in little puddles...

I agree with oscarbreeder...just because a betta can live for a little bit in a cup at the lfs doesn't mean that you should let him have a small living space. I consider a 2.5 gallon 'tank' a bowl. A small space can cause stress, due to reasons like high ammonia (because it's sometimes hard to cycle a bowl) or fluctuating temperatures. A 2.5 gallon tank, after you add gravel and decorations, probably holds closer to 1 1/2 gallons of water. This is too small for a 25-watt heater. It could overheat easily. My 5 gallon tanks stay at a constant 80 degrees. I'm not sure the small tank could stay that stable.

I did briefly keep my betta (previous betta) in a bowl at first. Comparing ease of care in a bowl, or a 5 gallon tank, it is much easier for me to maintain the 5 gallon tank than the bowl. I'm afraid the heater would run hot or the filter would be too strong in a 2.5 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom