2.5 Gallon Tank Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hortoholic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am new to this forum and I came here because I am a little unclear as to how to setup my aquarium in regards to filtration. Please laugh at me I do not mind :) . Also, cation I all me an animal abuser, etc. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and plan on getting a larger tank in the future but I have a 2.5 Gallon tank for my dorm room. I dont want it to be too heave as I thought this was a good size. I plan to have 2 guppies in this tank as well. for filtration I have a air powered filter for up to 3 gallons. Basically air i pushed through a tube in the form of bubbles and spills over into s spillway.

Here is the one I have in my tank:

Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

Is this sufficient or do I need a better filter. Was this a stupid purchase. Your thoughts?

I thank you for all your responses,

hortoholic

Hey there
If that filter also gives air bubbles + filtration of water then u'r almost done.
You need a heater, unless your room temp stays above 18°C (minimum at night!)
It's a good filter.
Just make sure you give a lot of free space for your fish to swim in.

I see your filter gives oxygen so live plants are not needed :)

In case you are wondering, to maintain good temp in your tank close your tank with glass or something. (at the top)

-Some ppl say you need to run your filter 2 weeks before adding some fish, not always true ^^
Run the filter for 2-3 days and you can add fish.

Actually, you are going to need a test kit also, so you can make sure your fish don't get poisoned by ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAtes. If your tank is not cycled (which can take 6+ weeks) you will have those problems and you will lose your fish.
IMO, bettas are the only fish who can live in a tank that small, unless you want snails or shrimp.
Good luck!

-Some ppl say you need to run your filter 2 weeks before adding some fish, not always true ^^
Run the filter for 2-3 days and you can add fish.

wrong...

the tank needs to be cycled before you even think of adding fish. there is a link in my signature detailing what needs to be done. If you add fish, then cycle, you will be poisoning your fish with ammonia unless you do daily water changes, possibly 2-3 times a day. Also, imo, that tank is too small for anything but a beta.

wrong...

the tank needs to be cycled before you even think of adding fish. there is a link in my signature detailing what needs to be done. If you add fish, then cycle, you will be poisoning your fish with ammonia unless you do daily water changes, possibly 2-3 times a day. Also, imo, that tank is too small for anything but a beta.

I know A LOT of people who do not use heating or filters and their fish live VERY long and the water is fresh, and everything goes well! :D

Fish who are supposed to be tropical should have a heater, or they are more prone to diseases. Most aquarists want their fish to thrive, not just survive.

I know A LOT of people who do not use heating or filters and their fish live VERY long and the water is fresh, and everything goes well! :D

How fresh is water that fish poop in and it doesn't get filtered? That would be like us living in a water treatment plant BEFORE it gets treated. *Shakes my head and bites back a more smartass reply*

I see your filter gives oxygen so live plants are not needed :)

nit-picking perhaps ... but the filter don't give oxygen .... What he has is a sponge filter being driven by an air-lift mechanism. the air bubbles adds very little air to the water. It is the water agitation at the surface of the tank that will promote air exchange to get oxygen into the tank. Depends on how the filter is setup (how much turbulence is at the filter outlet) as to how well this tank is going to be aerated.

Also second what everyone else is saying:
1. You need to cycle the tank properly with the filter if you want fish to survive. Running the filter for a few days don't cut it.
2. This is a very small tank, it will need much work (pwc, etc) to keep the fish alive & thriving. I also would suggest a betta over the guppies.
3. A tank with no filter or heater will only work if the ambient temp is high enough AND it is heavily planted (ie the Dutch method .. the plants acts as the filter.) This is an advance way of running a tank ... most newbies have an unfiltered goldfish bowl & they think it is fine if the fish live for a few months. <That is not "living long", your typical common goldfish is supposed to live for 10 years!>

Ok, so A heater would be a requirement as guppies are tropical fish? Om just trying to analyze my options for what fish can put in. would one guppy be too much or do they require multiple as I think they are schooling fish? If that ill just go for the betta.

Guppies need more space than a 2.5 gal, particularly as they're schooling fish so you'd need 5 or 6 of them.

Betta is a better choice. If you go with a female, make sure you have a lid. Go for silk or live plants-- the regular plastic ones will tear betta fins. And they appreciate heaters...

Back
Top Bottom