2.5 Gallon Tank Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@jetajockey: Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Does one have to cycle a tank for shrimp the same way one would for fish? The articles on that site mention pH a great deal and using dechlorinators obviously, but not much about water prep otherwise. Anyone know?

I would still cycle it some (2-3 weeks), before introducing some shrimp. If you're going to introduce them all at once (10) Id do a full cycle just to be safe

When I started a ghost shrimp tank I was told there would not be much of a cycle. My ammonia never got very high, but your shrimp could be more sensitive so a cycle would be safer.

If you put a good amount of plants and do an aqua scape, you wouldn't have to worry too much about water parameters as long as you do a decent filter. For that size, just a small bubble filter should be sufficient. And the type of fish you could keep depends highly on your local water quality. ph etc. Endlers would be a good start, some killefish species stay very small but these need a lower Ph generally. Just remember though with smaller species fish, in most cases the water quality has to be kept perfect because they are less hardy. Make sure your tank is cycled and you keep up on water maintenance

I agree that plants, especially fast growing ones (anacharis, etc) will make a cycle almost nonexistent . However I still think shrimp are the only things that belong in such a small tank.

Really no fish belongs in that tank. I would say you might could squeeze in a Betta, but that is still a bit small for them. I would just stick with shrimp. It will make care and maintenance much easier in the long run.

Did some research:
Bumblebee gobies need brackish water and a 20g tank, so they definitely won't work.

"Pea Puffers" or Dwarf Puffers require a 5g tank at the absolute minimum.

In short, a betta would be the only fish that would survive in that tank, but that doesn't mean it will thrive. It is just too hard to keep anything that has much of a bio-load in such a small tank because water parameters can "go south" in a few hours. I still think shrimp and/or snails should be your best bet.

adadkins1 said:
Did some research:
Bumblebee gobies need brackish water and a 20g tank, so they definitely won't work.

"Pea Puffers" or Dwarf Puffers require a 5g tank at the absolute minimum.

In short, a betta would be the only fish that would survive in that tank, but that doesn't mean it will thrive. It is just too hard to keep anything that has much of a bio-load in such a small tank because water parameters can "go south" in a few hours. I still think shrimp and/or snails should be your best bet.

+1. Brackish in a tank that size would be a failure I disagree though. A betta would be perfectly happy alone in there. I'd put a male shrimp or two in there as well.

Sure a Betta could work, but I have seen the difference in activity levels and overall behavior. They really need 5g minimum. My betta in a 5.5g tank is much happier and more active than the one I kept in a 1.5g.

If you do a betta you will just need to make sure the water is heated, filtered, and kept clean. It is your tank, so ultimately it is your decision.

+1. Brackish in a tank that size would be a failure I disagree though. A betta would be perfectly happy alone in there. I'd put a male shrimp or two in there as well.
no it wouldnt,a betta needs a 5 gallon minimum.

alLexX said:
no it wouldnt,a betta needs a 5 gallon minimum.

I've housed bettas in both. I have studied behaviors and the person above your comment is correct. There is a slight difference in activity. But no overall difference in the life Span. The fish would be fine in a 2.5.

I've housed bettas in both. I have studied behaviors and the person above your comment is correct. There is a slight difference in activity. But no overall difference in the life Span. The fish would be fine in a 2.5.
the betta would be much happier in a 5.

My betta theory is this: bettas will use every ounce of space you give them. A 2.5 doesn't give them enough space to be active IMO, and you'll get a relatively bored/lazy fish. A 5 gallon isn't preferable, but it does give them room to move, which would make them happier, but is definitely the bare minimum. IMO/E, a ten gallon is really the best tank size for them. It gives them space to be active, and they become much more exciting additions. Ya... I'd go with shrimp and snails.

If you wanted to get into breeding egg layers (like neons, Serpaes, most tetras etc) a 2.5 gal tank is prefect for a breeding tank. You would keep the female in there and get her nice and fat with eggs then add the male. Once they breed take the parents out and let the eggs hatch.

Given that everybody has their own opinion, I still think a 5g is the best for a betta. My new betta is 20 times happier and more active in his 5g than the one I had for 6 years in a 1.5g. Obviously there is no effect on life span, but on the overall quality of the fish's life.

I would just not put any fish in there and stick with inverts like shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom