2 Angelfish In a 30 Gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarmejia77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have 2 Angelfish in a 30 gallon aquarium , they have been threw alot , id say they are over a year old , When i first got them they were in a 55 Gallon which was over stocked :( . About 5 months ago ive put them in a 30 Gallon just by themselfs so they can have more room , and yet they havent really grown , ive noticed the smaller one did get bigger but the medium sized one has stayed that way :O , I feed them about twice daily , and they just keep beggin for more :popcorn: , But ive seen videos on angelfish everywhere and they are so big :( i wish mine were that big :( , Its not like im overstocking D: . Also the medium sized one has a very round belly and overnight it hasent gone down :eek: , he/she does eat when the food is given so i dont see any sickness , she does stay in her corner alot behind some plants , but does come out too . So Yeah what do yall think ? :eek: :thanks:

30 should be fine for a pair. What temp do you keep the tank? Growth rates will be affected by temperature and feeding. The higher the temps, the faster they grow (but their lifespan is shortened a bit). Higher temperatures = higher metabolism. I would keep them around 82. A lower temp of say 78 would be acceptable, but their immune systems suffer with a lower metabolism as a result.

I would fast them for 2-3 days to see if the bloat goes away (they can go a couple weeks without food, so a few days won't hurt). You could also try feeding some frozen peas by blanching them, to help clear the digestive tract. Just boil them and then cool them with cold water. Remove the shells and smash them up and drop them in. Mine don't like them though, so your results may vary.

I kept a full grown female in a 30g long for a few years. I wouldn't do it again. After moving her to a 75g she has livened up so much. More room to swim around, you can tell she is much happier in her new and bigger home. I wouldn't keep them in a 30g for any extended amount of time.

30 should be fine for a pair. What temp do you keep the tank? Growth rates will be affected by temperature and feeding. The higher the temps, the faster they grow (but their lifespan is shortened a bit). Higher temperatures = higher metabolism. I would keep them around 82. A lower temp of say 78 would be acceptable, but their immune systems suffer with a lower metabolism as a result.

I would fast them for 2-3 days to see if the bloat goes away (they can go a couple weeks without food, so a few days won't hurt). You could also try feeding some frozen peas by blanching them, to help clear the digestive tract. Just boil them and then cool them with cold water. Remove the shells and smash them up and drop them in. Mine don't like them though, so your results may vary.

The Temp is at 78 Degrees and I cant turn it up any hier sadly :/ , I will defenetly Try the pea method and by then what if the bloating doesnt go away ? Are they able to breed this early on ? 1 year old and a few months .

I kept a full grown female in a 30g long for a few years. I wouldn't do it again. After moving her to a 75g she has livened up so much. More room to swim around, you can tell she is much happier in her new and bigger home. I wouldn't keep them in a 30g for any extended amount of time.

I do have a 55 Aquarium laying around with all the necesities , But Its a pain with how much money you need , 30 gallon is less expensive and a 55 well the gravel itself is expensive!

oscarmejia77 said:
I do have a 55 Aquarium laying around with all the necesities , But Its a pain with how much money you need , 30 gallon is less expensive and a 55 well the gravel itself is expensive!

A 55g doesn't have to be expensive. The most I've spent on any one item in my 55g was the filter which was $35-40 ish, which I plan on finding a better one.

Use sand instead of gravel! One bag of PFS that's s is around $8 around me, and regular playsand is about $3 for 40lbs. It just takes a bit of work to get it cleaned. And when you buy things buy in bulk, it always helps IMO.

There are other ways to help reduce the price, even buying plants will help with a little reduction of PWCs. In my planted tanks I can go about 1.5-2 weeks without a water change and still have nitrates under 20ppm. And if you understock the tank it'll help even more!

The Temp is at 78 Degrees and I cant turn it up any hier sadly :/ , I will defenetly Try the pea method and by then what if the bloating doesnt go away ? Are they able to breed this early on ? 1 year old and a few months .

Usually 8 months to a year for breeding age and possibly earlier depending on the environment. You'd see them cleaning an area to spawn assuming they're paired up.

If the bloating doesn't go away, it could be swim bladder problems, but I don't think that is likely if they aren't displaying issues with staying upright.

A 55g doesn't have to be expensive. The most I've spent on any one item in my 55g was the filter which was $35-40 ish, which I plan on finding a better one.

Use sand instead of gravel! One bag of PFS that's s is around $8 around me, and regular playsand is about $3 for 40lbs. It just takes a bit of work to get it cleaned. And when you buy things buy in bulk, it always helps IMO.

There are other ways to help reduce the price, even buying plants will help with a little reduction of PWCs. In my planted tanks I can go about 1.5-2 weeks without a water change and still have nitrates under 20ppm. And if you understock the tank it'll help even more!

Ive never really done sand before :eek: , and ive seen it in other tanks and personally i think it looks better than gravel , you know what i think thats what ill do :eek: , Can it be any type of sand ? or does the pet store have some ? , And i could but all the plants in the 30 gallon into the 55 , including the rest that were in the 55 , I have a video of what it used to look like on youtube .... but thats when I experimented with a billion plants D:

I've only used pool filter sand. It looks like beach sand. 8$ for a 50 pound bag. Two should be enough for a 55 with some left over. I used one bag on a 37 tall and used about 2/3rds of it total sloping 3" back to 2" front. I have about 10 plants all rooted in the sand, and supplement ferts with root tabs.

Just wash it really good by either placing it in a pillow case and running water through it, or do what I did and put it all in a plastic rubbermaid tote outside and go to town on it with the hose nozzle on high velocity. Spray and dump the water over and over. When you think it's super clean, do it a few more times.

I've only used pool filter sand. It looks like beach sand. 8$ for a 50 pound bag. Two should be enough for a 55 with some left over. I used one bag on a 37 tall and used about 2/3rds of it total sloping 3" back to 2" front. I have about 10 plants all rooted in the sand, and supplement ferts with root tabs.

Just wash it really good by either placing it in a pillow case and running water through it, or do what I did and put it all in a plastic rubbermaid tote outside and go to town on it with the hose nozzle on high velocity. Spray and dump the water over and over. When you think it's super clean, do it a few more times.

Thank you sooooo much !! Thats exactly what ill do , Sometime this week ill clean the 55 g. and get it up and running again !

Back
Top Bottom