2 day cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to cycle a tank in 2 days? I started up a tank two days ago with seeded media and my ammonia and nitrite are already at 0 and my nitrate are at 5.

Is it possible to cycle a tank in 2 days? I started up a tank two days ago with seeded media and my ammonia and nitrite are already at 0 and my nitrate are at 5.

Possibly, depending how much media you put into the filter. You're getting zero ammonia reading because most likely you don't have any fish in the tank, am I correct?
You'll need some source of ammonia like one or two fish to see how your levels truly are.

I pulled out a filter pad from my other filter on my 40g this one is a 20g.

But yes there's no fish in just so me anubias swords and a lot of anacharis floating. I don't plan on getting fish for a few more weeks either.

Just fill the new tank with water from your cycled 40g water and add fish...the extra filter sponge will help too but just the cycled water will be enough to get you going instantly! Im telling you I do it all the time..never lost fish!...I just gave my buddy 40gals of my water to start a brand new out of the box 55g fish tank. ..and its been running for 6 months no lost fish and nearly perfect parameters!

Def...good luck you should be good when your ready!

While its definitely possible to jump start or even fully cycle a tank using established media, you will need an ammonia source in order to determine if it is in fact cycled. You will also need to continue provide an ammonia source to feed any good bacteria you may have. If the tank will be empty for weeks as you mentioned, adding an ammonia source regularly will be a necessity.

There is also is no such thing as "cycled water". Water contains insignificant to zero amounts of bacteria. Nitrifying bacteria excrete a sticky substance that allows them to colonize on the surfaces of a tank (filter media, substrate, decor, etc). Filter media generally has the greatest amount of bacteria per square inch as they have a constant supply of food and oxygen and the largest surface area to colonize. This why moving established filter media to a new tank can be very beneficial. Please ask if you have questions! :)

My brother bought some feeder goldfish today for his turtles so I asked for one and am going to see how that goes haha.

While its definitely possible to jump start or even fully cycle a tank using established media, you will need an ammonia source in order to determine if it is in fact cycled. You will also need to continue provide an ammonia source to feed any good bacteria you may have. If the tank will be empty for weeks as you mentioned, adding an ammonia source regularly will be a necessity.

There is also is no such thing as "cycled water". Water contains insignificant to zero amounts of bacteria. Nitrifying bacteria excrete a sticky substance that allows them to colonize on the surfaces of a tank (filter media, substrate, decor, etc). Filter media generally has the greatest amount of bacteria per square inch as they have a constant supply of food and oxygen and the largest surface area to colonize. This why moving established filter media to a new tank can be very beneficial. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Why does he need to add ammonia? I was told the bacteria can survive for months without a food source (by several people here on another thread)

Yea i remember seeing that thread as well, and someone mentioned that their biology professor who kept aquariums told them that they go dormant or something before dying off

Why does he need to add ammonia? I was told the bacteria can survive for months without a food source (by several people here on another thread)

Adding an ammonia source is the only way to determine if the tank is in fact 'cycled'. As it is a brand new tank, I suspect that it is not fully cycled. Adding a piece of cycled media to a new tank will give the cycling process a kick start but bacteria needs to establish itself through the entire tank and any other filter media. This does not happen overnight. Without a food source, nitrifying bacteria will not grow and thrive even though they will likely 'survive'.

Once an ammonia source is added, the new tank will begin the cycling and maturing process though the time involved in cycling will likely be reduced.

Adding cycled filter media to new tank is relative. If you added cycled filter media from a 5g betta tank to a new 75g heavily stocked cichlid tank, it would not be very helpful. But, if you switched the scenario and added bunch of filter media from a cycled 75g heavily stocked cichlid tank to a new 5g betta tank, it would be instantly cycled (though not mature).

As we do not how much filter media or what type of tank the media came from, it's a bit difficult to assume the Op's tank is cycled to any degree without the addition of some form of an ammonia to test this.

Ah, so he needs it just to check, not to sustain. I must have misread that. Thanks for clarifying.

Back
Top Bottom