2 g growout tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
would a 2 gallon growout tank be alright for some baby yellow labs or can i add them to my 10 g with about 14 tetras in there.

A 2 gal would be sufficient for a few weeks. A 29 gal tank would be better, dependong on how large you plan to grow them out before selling or trading.

Only for a few weeks and you'd need to do a near complete water change at least once a day (the 2g tank).

so could i put them in with my tetras in my 10g after there about 1" or 1 1/2 " then ill sell them or keep them to add to my tank the moms in.

You will probably want to move them before 1", since they will be in the 2 gallon for a L O N G time! Use your best judgment when moving the fry to the tetra tank. You may want to move only a few and see how they act with the tetras at first. What kind of tetras?

i have neon tetras,glolight,lemon,black phantom and a green neon.i have the twogallon with a filter but i have to return it because it was missing the light in it damn lfs.its surprisingly big for a two gallon im going to put like one cave and maybe a couple plastic plants andgetting a heater tomorroww.

IMO the only thing a 2 gallon tank is suitable for is a betta or cherry shrimp. Multiple fish in such a small volume will degrade the water quality very quickly. Better to buy another 10 gallon when you return the 2 gallon, they aren't very expensive, and setup cost will be about the same.

i would get a ten g but i only got 30 dollars right now as i dont get payed for another 2 weeks. (edit) i decided to keep the two gallon since they wont be in there long.wouldit be ok to put the mom in there till she spits shes very close.it has a filter and i can already see the whole body of all the fish.

You can add established filter media from the large tank to the 2 gal filter for an instant cycle (unless you are using a sponge filter, having the bacteria will help, but getting it to stay on the sponge is another matter). When dealing with a mother fish, things get tricky. If she gets stressed from the catching or small tank, she may eat the babies. Many cichlid breeders I know like to strip the fry from the female. I have never done it, but you would pry open her mouth and let the fry out (probably easier said than done!).
its surprisingly big for a two gallon im going to put like one cave and maybe a couple plastic plants andgetting a heater tomorroww.
It's still only 2 gallons. I have been QTing an ill krib in a 2 gallon. Sure I can put a cave in there, but with the sponge filter and stealth heater, there is very little room left over.

Look in the classifieds and at yard sales this weekend for a deal on a tank. There are usually some great deals, if you don't mind cleaning the tank. I bought many a used tank in Calgary on the cheap.

alright ill look in the classifieds.and online i hope find one also i dont want to pry her mouth open as i dont really know how to.

Back
Top Bottom