2 Gallon Vase, what do you think??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobishu

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of maybe trying to use this vase to put a betta, or maybe 2-3 very small fish, on my bed stand. The wife won't allow an actual tank in the bedroom. What do you all think? Any ideas? Thank you.

ForumRunner_20120313_221516.jpg

True, but I've seen bettas live in smaller vases for upwards of a year, with a plant, no heater, and no airation or filtration. So I just thought maybe, an air stone, sponge filter, a plant, with a heater, might be ok for 1 betta. But that's why I thought I would ask before I killed something.

Bettas CAN live in bowls due to their labyrinth organ, which allows them to breathe air straight from the surface. But that doesn't mean they SHOULD be in bowls. Surviving does not mean thriving. A Betta should have a heated and filtered 5 gallon at least, in my opinion. I don't think that vase would be good for any sort of fish.

Bobishu said:
True, but I've seen bettas live in smaller vases for upwards of a year, with a plant, no heater, and no airation or filtration. So I just thought maybe, an air stone, sponge filter, a plant, with a heater, might be ok for 1 betta. But that's why I thought I would ask before I killed something.

Well I your gonna add a filter and a heater some hiding places etc. why not try and talk her into a nice 10 gallon?

Oh, I agree. A ten gallon would be an amazing home for a Betta. 5 gallons is the minimum, but the more room the better. These little fish can be quite amusing, and they'll be even more so the more room they have.

Haha, I've tried, I have a spare 10g, but she insists the tanks are "to loud" :p honestly, I don't notice the sound at all.

Lol, personally I love the sound of the tanks, it's calming, but I see how it could annoy some people. I think if that's your only option, it'd be best to just not have fish in that room.

Yes it was quite the project, I was going to try to do exactly as he did, but with the vase. It's worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom