2 Male Dwarf Gourami In 1 Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McLumpy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have 1 male DG in my 55 gallon tank and recently purchased another male that is being held in my QT. I had planned on introducing the new DG after the 30 days was up, but now I'm nervous...

It was recently brought to my attention, (per mention in another thread), that having 2 male Dwarf Gourami in 1 tank is a bad idea. It was even stated that their behavior is similar to 2 male Bettas in 1 tank. (Just the thought of this makes me shudder btw!).

I always try to make it a point to do extensive compatibility research before purchasing any fish. But for some reason, this was overlooked. I knew that DGs can be somewhat territorial, but I didn't figure that it would be an issue as my tank is quite 'roomy' and has plenty of hiding places. However, I would feel horrible if I introduce my new DG into my main tank and they end up fighting and/or killing each other. :(

So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had luck having multiple male DGs in 1 tank? If so, how do they act towards each other? Do they successfully set their separate territories and seldom interact? Do larger tanks help by giving them adequate room to establish their territories?

TIA

I have three in my 165 liter tank.

My LFS said that one is ok and three ( or more) is ok, but two will cause fights.

So far they seem to get on ok

I have two in one of my tanks and they ignore each other. Never had a problem. My sister-in-law has two in a twenty gallon and they play nice too

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Especially if you have some tall plants reaching the surface or floating plants they will be fine. Gotta give them territory to call their own. :)

I had 2 in a 26G tank and was a disaster, one killed the other one, but in a 55 G tank as yours maybe you will have a better chance.

As happy girls said, if your tank is planted and with enough decorations where they can find their own territory, maybe ok.

Also is encouraging the order people success in smaller tanks mentioned above.
Good luck

Sad News

Well, this morning I found my new DG doing somersaults in the QT. I immediately contained him in my breeder tank so he wouldn't hurt himself and other fish. But, just my luck, it looks like fate made my decision to not add him to my main tank afterall. He just passed. :(

When I got him from the LFS a few days ago, he was alone in the tank, (w/ the exception of a dead DG floating about :mad:). He was beautiful and swimming around great. I guess I was hoping that I had saved him from the :censor: he was living in at the LFS, and that he wouldn't sucumb to the same fate as his tank mate. But that didn't happen.

I think for the sake of my sanity, I will not be replacing the DG with another DG. I will, however, make my way to the LFS today and maybe get another Clown Loach. I don't know yet. I'm just really upset that this happened. :(

I truly appreciate everyone's input thus far. Feel free to continue posting your experiences, as this info will help others that were in my position.

RIP little guy.

I'm sorry to hear about it, Gouramies are beautiful fish, they easily stole the attention from other fish in a tank.

I don't have Gouramies anymore, but I read a lot in these forums and I noticed continous problems with Gouramies getting sick, could be a coincidence. :(

Good luck with the clown !!:D

I'm sorry to hear about it, Gouramies are beautiful fish, they easily stole the attention from other fish in a tank.

I don't have Gouramies anymore, but I read a lot in these forums and I noticed continous problems with Gouramies getting sick, could be a coincidence. :(

Good luck with the clown !!:D

They are absolutely beautiful! Sadly though, just like you, I've noticed an influx in threads relating to DGs having a short lifespan. I'm thankful that's not the case w/ my other DG. His presence in the tank adds a beautiful color mixture w/ the other fish.

It's just a shame my new DG didn't make it. :( Had the 2 of them been ok in the same tank, he would have added even more of an eclectic color variation in the tank.

I didn't get my Clown Loach today, but I'm going to make my way to the LFS tomorrow. Hopefully. :rolleyes:

sorry to hear about your little guy! we have two in our tank and they don't fuss with each other much. we have plenty of cover for them and they each have a different side they prefer. every now and then one will try to put his little feeler on the other one and that causes a little tussle, but its not really vicious and they don't really pursue each other afterwards. they're my favs of all our fish and i really hope you can eventually add some more to your collection.

sorry to hear about your little guy! we have two in our tank and they don't fuss with each other much. we have plenty of cover for them and they each have a different side they prefer. every now and then one will try to put his little feeler on the other one and that causes a little tussle, but its not really vicious and they don't really pursue each other afterwards. they're my favs of all our fish and i really hope you can eventually add some more to your collection.

Thank you for the kind words! I miss seeing him in the tank. :( They really are great fish but it seems like it's a coin toss when you get them from the LFS. I figure I will eventually get more, but for now, just the one will suffice. He hangs out in the left-rear of the tank, swims around the tank a little bit, then goes back to protect his territory. He also puts my RT Shark in check if he starts chasing the other fish.

My stock is complete again. Yesterday I picked up a Clown Loach and he's a feisty little bugger! He already found his home in the new artificial plant and he's doing really well w/ his tank mates. I'm optimistic that in a month they will be happy and healthy in my display tank. (y)

I had three D. Gouramis in the same tank. I read somewhere that it would be okay as long as they weren"t competing for a female. They seemed to get a long fine. There was a little nipping a each other but I wouldn't call it aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom