2 or 1 Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chompsticks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this is a dumb thread to post, but I cannot find too many opinions about it.

I have a 120 gal and wanting to replace my AC70 HOB filters because there is just to much sunlight in my place and I cannot get a canopy to work with those filters because they have to be placed on the sides of the tank.

To the Question!! :multi:

I am looking at cannister filters...

Should I get two XP3s or two 405s

OR

a XP4 or a FX5

Yes I know there is a big debate between the two brands... But I am leaning towards Rena...

Moderately stocked fish and plants

Yep, either two 405's or an fx5... fx5 would probably be cheaper and a little more filtration actually... the two 405's would allow you to direct more flow to the surface... either way will work just fine IMO

I say if you have the money to go with two it's safer ( I'm a fan of backup) if one dies and you have only one then you have no filtration till you notice it... If you have two on the other hand at least you will have half flow so the tank will do better longer with the one dead. Like if you have to wait a few days to replace it most tanks would be in trouble.. but if you have two it can hobble along for a while. Now if you don't go away there usually isn't long periods of time that you can't buy parts locally except the 25/26 of Dec and even then maybe your LFS is open on a boxing day.

100% agree with greenmaster. if i was buying a canister today it would be the rena or the marineland c series.

Thanks guys! I'd do a sump, but I have no room for it whereas the cannister filters will fit in the cabinets. Yea I think I am going to go with two cannisters for the back up depending on how funds go this summer i might get an xp3 and and xp4... cheaper than fluval i hope at least.

There is soo much debate over rena and fluval and I have read everything.... They are pretty much equal in my mind right now....

I have 2 fluval 403's that ran for collective for 28 years. With minor repairs, mainly leaking disconnect valves. I could clean and prime them right now and they will run like normal. That they are a pain to clean and get restarted but they are still very good systems.

I was going to say fx5, but like greenmaster and mgamer suggested I dont think getting 2 405's, one as a backup if one goes down (and its a big if) is such a bad idea. That would be the route id go

i don't know about you guys but i have no experience with either of them i run a cascade 1500. works just as good if not better and cheaper.

I have no experience with any name brand I was just saying that more then one is IMO always a good idea

So I have been looking around for the rena XP3s, and was wondering if anyone knows. There seems to be two different xp3 models. They both handle the same but their boxes and prices are different. Anyone have ideas?

OKie dokes, last question for this thread. Got my two XP3s... Now, where do I place both intake and output tubes? Both intakes on one end and both outputs on the other? An intake and output on both ends of the tank? Or both outputs on the ends and both intakes in the middle, or vice versa?

Also should I place the outputs at a high and mid level and the intakes are a middle and low?

Or does all this just really depend on the way my tank is set up?

I'd go with the fx5 if I had the choice. I have contact with a number of Malawi keepers that think they are the bee's knees.

I run 305's and 405's but don't have a 120G tank.

Don't get another filter just for flow, get a sunsun flowmaker or 2 from fish-street.

Back
Top Bottom