20 gal gift tank... What should I do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well someone at work today gave me their 20gal fish tank because they don't want to mess with it.

Now the question is what should I do with it. It only has .75 wpg so I might be able to set it up for low light plants. Or maybe put in some dwarf Cichlid's.

Relly not sure what I should do with it so I am open for some ideas. Don't want to put a bunch of money into it sense I don't have much left after setting up the 90gal.

Right now it has a cheap small power filter on it which needs to be replaced. What should I get?

Well hope to hear from you all soon, would like to stop by the LFS on the way home and get what ever I need.

Jeff

A Penguin 170 or AquaClear 200 would be good filters for a 20.

As far as the fish go, if you want Dwarf Cichlid a couple pairs of Rams would be nice in a 20G if it is a 20L tank. If it is a 20H, I would get just a single pair of Rams. Those are the most common Dwarf Cichlids you will likely find. Some Shell Dwellers would be cool though...

Since it probably wont be a planted tank, have you considered africans? If I had an extra 20L I'd probably get some shell-dwellers for it. Another option is a small neolamprologus breeding colony, you could do 3-4 brichardi, or lelupi(sp?), or even neolamp brevis if you can find them.

You will need a least 2WPG to grow low light plants & plant bulbs. The light fixture you have is most than likely the one sold with the tank which will not grow plants.

For the filter you can use Penquin 125 (HOB) or a Fluval 104 (canister).

If you want ciclids then try Rams they stay small and will not outgrow your tank.

moved to FW, general discussion, prolly get some better ideas here, Jeff.

My advice, check it for leaks, and as long as it doesn't leak, let it sit for a while. Do some research into different FW fish that would do well in that size tank. You have no pressure on you to do it right away, might as well give it some thought. Your 90 planted has been a challenge, so maybe go with something easier. Always fun to have fry, maybe some livebearers, or egglayers that breed readily.

Another idea, get your wife involved, see what she might want. I know my wife likes to pick out fish, and then she enjoys the tanks more. (That's the extent of her involvement in my aq hobby, but every little bit helps!)

Try an African Cichlid tank, with driftwood and rocks for something simplier. You have your hands full with the 90g planted.

As an added bonus your hard water would work great for an African tank. Keep it simple :wink:

Everyone is doing cichlids nowadays..break from the mold and get a half dozen pugnax betta.
Either really big like my Pi or some of the more colorful marked species. They are good peaceful schoolers..mouth brooders..very active and gregarious after the first bought of shyness.

Or a tank of sparkling gourami....

you could have 4-5 of one and a good dozen of the other if it is a long.
Simple plants, simple filtration, just good heat.
Throw in sandy bottom, Java fern and moss...voila! :p

If you do cichlids, make sure they are dwarfs (rams or Apistogrammas), brichardi, or kribs. These cichlids will stay under 4", or so, and be able to handle a 20 gal tank. Research the needs of the fish that you choose!
Another idea is Badis badis with pigmy cories and a pleco (my current favorite tank :wink:).
Did I miss it--what is your pH from the tap?

Menagerie,

Aquarium Freak is a regular over on the planted forum is how I knew his tap water para's :wink: . I can't recall exacts off the top of my head but he has very hard water. PH is 7.6 or more, GH and KH are like 13-17 8O . Somewhere around there.

Jeff, keep the 20g as simple as possible. I'd advise fish that like your tap water. I know you have RO, throw it out the window for this tank. Your 90g planted is a big enough handful for you right now. Try something at the other end of the spectrum like a 20g with lotsa rocks and driftwood and fish that like your tap water. Every tank you build does'nt have to contain live plants for fish to thrive. I've seen some stunning looking African tanks that only had rocks, driftwood and sand.

Back
Top Bottom