20 gal high idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vespasianus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.

I'm about to setup my 20 gal high. It's going to have a tetra advance filter rated 30-60 gal, and pool filter sand. I have an idea for stocking which I put in that aqadvisor website and it came out good. So far what I want is:

1 dwarf gourami
5 kuhli loaches
8 harlequin rasboras

Even though the page approves this stock I would like some advise as to the compatibility of this stock, considering I trust the experts in this page much better than any online calculator :D. Also if anyone can give me an idea of what I can do to beat the high temps in my aquarium because where I live, the water maintains at a scorching 86 F all the time and harlequins I know don't like temps that high.

Forgot to add, I know some people had bad opinions about the whisper advance series about noisy, quality, etc. A friend gave it to me and I haven't tested it yet as I have not set up the tank so if someone who has used it here can give me a review on it I would then make a decision whether to use it or not.

Hi.

I'm about to setup my 20 gal high. It's going to have a tetra advance filter rated 30-60 gal, and pool filter sand. I have an idea for stocking which I put in that aqadvisor website and it came out good. So far what I want is:

1 dwarf gourami
5 kuhli loaches
8 harlequin rasboras

Even though the page approves this stock I would like some advise as to the compatibility of this stock, considering I trust the experts in this page much better than any online calculator :D. Also if anyone can give me an idea of what I can do to beat the high temps in my aquarium because where I live, the water maintains at a scorching 86 F all the time and harlequins I know don't like temps that high.

Before you do a water change, let te water sit out for a while. Until it cools off. OR if your talking about the water in the tank, they have coolers for that type of thing. I've been thinking about getting one. Live in Florida and my tank has been running high lately.

I like your stock. It reminds me a lot of what I want/will get. I have Khulis currently. But want a nice big school of dwarf rasboras and maybe a trio of honey gouramis! I also have sand, but just regular ole aquarium sand. Do you plan to have any live plants? To me everything sounds good, but I am a newbie!

Hi.

1 dwarf gourami
5 kuhli loaches
8 harlequin rasboras

What about snails? Do you need any?

@ Buu , on the heat thing on our tanks, when I read about aquarium heaters sometimes I chuckle. If I were to put one of those here I would end up with fish soup. My betta 5 gal tank is all day in front of a fan and when I get home its usually about 86-88 F. About the plants, yes I plan to have some but it would be really easy-to-care plants, in fact maybe I'll put a few types of anacharis, which where I live in the Caribbean, in some of the rainforests I can even get some in the wild and maybe one of those freshwater moss balls. About the sand, for some mysterious reason, in a tropical island with thousands of pools I seem to be having a problem finding pool filter sand :facepalm:, hard to believe but true, so most likely I will have to spend on some of that bit expensive aquarium sand from Petsmart or the local LFS's.

@ Dyl1234 well the snails, when I used to have my tanks, I got them in a need-to basis. Mostly when the algae or waste was an issue but I grew fond of them, the only reason I have not considered them that much in this particular tank is because I would already have bottom dwellers but I would definitely not rule them out.

EDIT: Do you think rasboras may get nippy and try to take a bite out of the gourami's fins?

@ Buu , on the heat thing on our tanks, when I read about aquarium heaters sometimes I chuckle. If I were to put one of those here I would end up with fish soup. My betta 5 gal tank is all day in front of a fan and when I get home its usually about 86-88 F. About the plants, yes I plan to have some but it would be really easy-to-care plants, in fact maybe I'll put a few types of anacharis, which where I live in the Caribbean, in some of the rainforests I can even get some in the wild and maybe one of those freshwater moss balls. About the sand, for some mysterious reason, in a tropical island with thousands of pools I seem to be having a problem finding pool filter sand :facepalm:, hard to believe but true, so most likely I will have to spend on some of that bit expensive aquarium sand from Petsmart or the local LFS's.

@ Dyl1234 well the snails, when I used to have my tanks, I got them in a need-to basis. Mostly when the algae or waste was an issue but I grew fond of them, the only reason I have not considered them that much in this particular tank is because I would already have bottom dwellers but I would definitely not rule them out.

EDIT: Do you think rasboras may get nippy and try to take a bite out of the gourami's fins?

Yay! Plants would be great with gouramis. That's pretty much what I'm doing. Low maintenance plants, seems like we have the same idea on our tanks. You know what they say, geniuses think alike.

Rasboras should be fine, as long as you have a nice school going (which you do).

Back
Top Bottom