20 gal long setting up right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so my 10 gal is cycling fine, BUT I NEED MORE!!!! :) So im setting up a 20 long. I bought all the stuff and set it up 2 days ago. Now uppon setup of my 10gal i had an eppic fail that you guys helped to solve,so i want to do this one right. I set it all up with heater aquaclear HOB filter bubbles. But i used rocks that i had from an old childhood settup they wer sitting in an old tank for quite some time now, i gatherd them all up cleand and boild and scrubed the larger ones. Put it all together its been running up to par with all readings at 0ppm PH is kinda high 7.6, except that the water is cloudy, it has gotten a little better in the past 2 days but still not as nice as my 10 gal. Now i plan on doing a fish in cycle and was wondering if i could put a fish in to begin the process even tho the water is a bit cloudy. Any ideas about the cloudyness, should i do away with the old rocks. Also ay ideas about stocking to start is cool also. like i said its a 20 long, and i just wanna do this thing right. I have a pritty good idea of what to expect now but im mostly looking for advice on the cloudyness but any tips on starting a 20 long is appreciated
Thanks i plan to upload some pix soon

Here is a fiew pix of how its setup

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMAG0175-1.jpg
    IMAG0175-1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 70
Nice tank! The cloudiness could just be from filling the water or from the rocks, it should clear up with time and water changes. You can add fish even though it's cloudy. What type of fish are you thinking of getting? You want to only add a few small fish to begin with to start the cycling process.

Give it a couple weeks, then add a couple more. You want to wait 2 to 3 weeks between adding aymore then around 3 fish.

Nice tank! The cloudiness could just be from filling the water or from the rocks, it should clear up with time and water changes. You can add fish even though it's cloudy. What type of fish are you thinking of getting? You want to only add a few small fish to begin with to start the cycling process.

I'm not shure what I wanna stock it with mabie an Oscar once its cycled but to start I'm not shure. But I just tested the water and ammonia is at 0.1?????? Why. I figured the rocks were the cause of the cloudy ness. The ammonia is from the rocks also.
And as far as platys my ten has 2 platys already and I will prolly transfer them once cycled and I will turn the ten into a small community of neon or black skert tetra, I'm not shure I just cycled my ten w/ the platys, so I don't want to put them threw that again.
And I don't want to purchase any more cause my female platy is prego. And I will soon have many more. But now that the ammonia is up I'm not shure if I should remove the old rocks and use something else, or at least clean them again, maby just do a good water change and put in some tiger barbs whaddya think...?????

YOu could go with some gourami since most arent aggressive My personal idea have them in my 29 gallon

I have ammonia in my tank now after 3 days i havent done or put anything in itsat 1.0ppm i did a water change and its down but there are no fish in yet my guess is that its the old rocks , should i let it go or maby remove the rocks. I would still like to do a fish in cycle.

I just did another test now 4 hours after a water change and the ammonia in my empty tank is almost 2 ppm tap water is 0 I can only assume that it is the old rocks from an old childhood tank that was left to evaporate away in the basement and never thought of agan.
I cleaned them but I guess that wasent enough. I'm beginning to think I should do a fishless cycle....???

Back
Top Bottom