20 gal long tank stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codygregg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm exploring stock options for a 20 gallon long tank. It is going through a fishless cycle right now so there won't be any fish in it for a while yet, but I was thinking I would like to center the tank stock around a dwarf cichlid. I'm wondering if anyone has a tank like this or has cool ideas for a stock? Here is a picture of the decor if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424048483759.jpg
    1424048483759.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 95
I'm exploring stock options for a 20 gallon long tank. It is going through a fishless cycle right now so there won't be any fish in it for a while yet, but I was thinking I would like to center the tank stock around a dwarf cichlid. I'm wondering if anyone has a tank like this or has cool ideas for a stock? Here is a picture of the decor if that helps.

I'm setting up a 20 long next weekend, I'm going to do 10 orange laser cories and a bolivian ram.

Do a colony of neolamprologus multifasciatus (dwarf shell dwelling cichlid). Then maybe add some top dwelling fish like zebra danios or neon dwarf rainbows as the cichlids will kill any bottom dwelling fish that go near their shells. I definitely recommend doing research on them though.

Maybe you could do a single bolivian ram, and a school of rummy nose tetras.

Or a single Kribensis and a school of black skirt tetras

Fishobsessed7

Maybe a school (10+) of Rummynose tetra, a school of corys (6+) and a dwarf gourami?? Your tank is looking good, maybe consider some floating plants. Gouramis definitely appreciate the cover and I find my Rummy's use much more of the tank when the light is shaded a bit :) Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will post what I decide later!

I have a pair of German blue rams as well as a pair of apisto cacatuoides in community tanks, and they do very well. Very peaceful and pretty and active fish. Lots of personality, and they don't mind swarms of fast-moving fish everywhere. My rams in my 120 gallon tank eat and swim right along with all the community fish, never bother the cories or panda garras or the shrimp. A pair would be a good choice I would think.

I have owned GBR's in the past (As you can probably tell from my profile picture) and honestly they are the reason I decided to buy another tank and get back into fish keeping. But the more I research and look at other tanks, the more I just want every fish. I have a couple different ideas now if anyone would like to give me tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Stock 1
A pair of GBRs
6-8 tetras (probably neons)
4-5 Cories

Stock 2 (looked at tanks like this, not sure if it would work out)
1 betta
6-8 tetras (again probably neons)
4-5 Cories

Stock 3
One electric blue ram (rare in my area, but found one at my LFS)
6-8 neon tetras
4-5 Cories

Again it's a 20gal long tank, thank you in advance. I really like the betta idea if someone that knows a lot about bettas could tell me if that would work

The betta idea is very similar to my tank, but mine is a 10 gallon. It's possible and quite easy to have a betta tank, they are hardy and easy to care for. Just introduce other fish before the betta, and try to make sure the betta is healthy (although it's hard to tell in the cups they are sold in) and try to find a mellow, bone aggressive one. If he's flaring like crazy at the fish next to him, he may not be the best choice. If you don't even want to risk him not working out you can try a female. They tend to be calmer and work well. Although, some are very aggressive. As for the tank mates I think you can up the cory group a little. They love being with their own kind. Also, neons aren't very hardy at all. They often die IME. I would recommend looking at White Cloud Mountain minnows. They can be in the lower range of betta fish temps. They are active and beautiful, and I personally prefer the golden variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom