20 gallon aquarium stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which would be better for a 20 gallon aquarium?

1 male betta
5 cory catfish
5 neon tetras
5 zebra danios
Or
1 male betta
5 cory catfish
8-10 neon tetras

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would go with more neons , or you could mix cardinals with them
the bigger the school the better they do and look
or you could go with less cats and have both neons and danios

I've got 10 neons, 5 julii cories, and 4 otos in my 20 gallon long, and I love it. All the fish get along and there's lots of activity in all areas of the tank.

My male betta killed 3 of my danios so I would advise against it but he's fine with my cory cat

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would vote with the neons and cories. I think a bigger school of the same fish is much more pleasing to the eye. I have 12 neons , 6 striped kuhlis, and a powder blue gourami in my 20 gal, and I think the color combo is superb. I used to have my betta with the neons, but he became aggressive and had to be separated. Just keep that in mind. Personality varies greatly between bettas, and a once calm betta can become stressed out and aggressive. Make sure you have lots of plant cover to give your smaller fish hiding places. They can easily out swim the betta, but if he can always see them, he may chase them to the point of exhaustion, and then illness can set in. Or he may ignore them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom