20 gallon L ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my multiple tank syndrome is firing up again as I come accross a deal at a local store: Used, but all in working condition: 20g long tank, aquaclear 30, and a fluorescent lighting strip and glass tank cover for $40! The owner assures me it is all in good condition and just wants to get rid of it(too good to be true?). I will go tomorrow to check the stuff out one more time, check to make sure the lighting works, make sure the filter is complete, etc. before making a final decision, but what could I put in this tank if I get it?

My water is moderately hard and the ph is 7.8-8.0. I don't have AC, so i can't really do cold water fish. (are celestial pearl danios cold water fish or not, by the way? Two local stores have them in stock!) Whatever fish I get, I will probably stock the tank heavily with hardy plants like java fern and anacharis. I love a tank full of plants.:flowers:

I have two platies in a ten at the moment. Could I move them into the twenty L once it is established and get some more platies? How many would be a good number?
Would striped kuhli loaches do well in it?
I was browsing around on other forums, and read some suggestions to put one bolivian ram in a 20L with a small school of tetras. Anyone try this before?
Or maybe a school of neon or glowlight tetras with one or two slightly bigger fish?
How about a school of cherry barbs instead?
Mollies?
Are there any rainbowfish that would work out?

You could put the platies iin there with 3 coolies (if u have some sand) 1 bolivian ram ( with some wood and cichlid stones) and some otocinclus and maybe a molly or some more platies.

Coolies sounds cuter. :)

Would a bolivian ram do well in a ph of 8 and moderately hard water? Some sources I looked up say it likes soft, acidic water. Is that just for breeding them, or for their long-term health, as well? I don't want to get fish that will get ill in the wrong conditions.

A bolivian ram, three platies, a zebra snail with plenty of java ferns and anubias on driftwood with a fine, smooth dark gravel might be what I do for this tank, if the ram would be okay in my water. I would like some kuhlis as well, but again I am concerned about the hard alkaline water hurting them. I could get some amano shrimp if they are compatible with rams. I've been planning on getting some for my ten gallon eventually, too.

First thing's first, the tank is used and has crusty stuff on the inside. Gotta scrub the heck out of it and then check for leaks.

The way I see, the platies would be the first addition to the tank after the cycle, then the snail and maybe shrimp after a while, and several months after the tank is cycled and in good shape I can add the ram. Does that sound like a good plan?

Actually, with the platies bioloads, I would say it is a bit overstocked, but should work fine.

Three platies would affect the load of a twenty gallon that much??? I was more concerned with all the kuhlis and harlequins. How about no harlequins and one more platy instead? Or switch the kuhlis for a few amano shrimp?

Yeah, they do. Mine seems to be constantly pooping, and I underfeed the tank too. Generally a single platy will fully stock a 10 gallon tank unless heavily planted.

I would say keep the two platies you have right now, add a few amano shrimp as they have almost no bioload, and add a school of 8 harlequin tetras.

Goldfish loach boy's stock would be fine, although it's always best to overfilter so adding more filtration would definitely be recommended. You could add another AC30 or even an AC50. For a long time I ran an AC50 and an AC20 on my 20g, although the AC20 was my backup filter if I ever needed my hospital/QT tank. Recently though I upgraded to a Fluval 206.

1 bolivian ram
4 platy
4 amano shrimp
1 zebra nerite snail OR a few malaysian trumpet snails
+ lots of hardy plants

How does that sound? That seems like plenty of great fish and invertebrates to me. Just gotta do a little more research about whether the ram would do well in my water. :)

AqAdvisor says about this stocking plan:
You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 161%.
Recommended water change schedule: 19% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 55%.

Yeah, they do. Mine seems to be constantly pooping, and I underfeed the tank too. Generally a single platy will fully stock a 10 gallon tank unless heavily planted.

I would say keep the two platies you have right now, add a few amano shrimp as they have almost no bioload, and add a school of 8 harlequin tetras.

I'm actually not too interested in harlequins. They seem boring, imo. No offense to anyone who loves them.

1 bolivian ram
4 platy
4 amano shrimp
+ lots of hardy plants

How does that sound? That seems like plenty of great fish and invertebrates to me. Just gotta do a little more research about whether the ram would do well in my water. :)

The ram would do fine in your water. My water is pretty hard too and I keep GBRs with no problem. You could still do more fish (like the loaches or a small shoal of panda cories) IMO but if you're happy with that stock then that's great. I always prefer understocked tanks myself, particularly with lots of plants. Makes seeing them swim through the plants more special! (y)

The ram would do fine in your water. My water is pretty hard too and I keep GBRs with no problem. You could still do more fish (like the loaches or a small shoal of panda cories) IMO but if you're happy with that stock then that's great. I always prefer understocked tanks myself, particularly with lots of plants. Makes seeing them swim through the plants more special! (y)

Maybe I'll change my mind and get a few kuhli loaches as well, since I LOVE them, but I want to be careful.

1 bolivian ram
4 platy
4 amano shrimp
+ lots of hardy plants

I wouldn't put much faith in what a stocking calculator tells you, so it's good to see you asking questions here. $40 is a pretty good deal for what you're getting. :)

Your list looks fine to me, just be sure to keep up on the water changes. Nerite snails can be difficult to feed, so I would hold off on that until you have some algae for it to eat. Malaysian trumpet snails are fine, you don't have to do either/or with the snails. In fact, it's pretty likely you'll end up with some regardless once you start adding plants. Probably some pond snails too. As long as you don't overfeed, it's not a big deal.

Amano shrimp are hardy, active, and easy to feed. Bolivian rams are a great species for someone new to dwarf cichlids. Good choices there.

If you want to add a group of kuhli loaches, go for it.

The filter you have is fine for a 20 long. It's a 150 GPH filter. You don't need to add to it unless you really want to.

I'd change more water than what the calculator says. I generally recommend 40-50% weekly but you can get by with less.

Back
Top Bottom