20 gallon Long aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobo2020

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m getting a 20 gallon long aquarium. Here’s what I want:
A pair of dwarf gouramis
Either 8-10 neon or rummy nose tetras
6-8 cherry barbs
4-6 albino Cory cats
1 mystery snail

Is this too many fish? If so what should I take out. Also, should I do neon tetras or rummy nose tetras?

I would recommend only 1 dwarf gourami, because 2 males will fight and it's also almost impossible to get a female. Everything else seems reasonable to me. Aquavisor is definitely a good tool to play around with for stocking.

Although I'm a fan of the neon tetra's colors, I can't recommend them anymore. They used to be a somewhat resilient fish, but I feel that over-breeding in the aquarium trade has made them weak. In short they are a very sensitive fish and are difficult to keep alive.

Go with Cardinal Tetras. They don't have the problems neons do and better coloring IMO.

Just to be contrary, I've had good experiences with neons. It seems to me that if you get them past a two-week "break in"/quarantine period, you'll do well. Obviously, others have had different experiences.

Regarding Rummynoses, they're very active swimmers and (just my opinion) do better in a tank longer than a 20-long.

Back
Top Bottom