20 Gallon Long, Misson Possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Starka said:
So the three lined cories are the fake julii's I've been reading about. I will double check to see if they are true julii's. As for the tank would it matter if I came home with the trilineatus instead?
I kinda like them more with all their squiggly lines. ;)

Trilineatus are very cute :) I think they will work just as well.

The tris are the same size as julii, so its not a big deal. I ended up with a few "false julii" myself, but I love them. :)

Nice, I just love cories with their cute faces. I just have to make sure they are all julii or all false julii's cus they won't school, right?

Starka said:
Nice, I just love cories with their cute faces. I just have to make sure they are all julii or all false julii's cus they won't school, right?

They may still school, but same species is always best for seeing behavior and in case they want to breed.

Coursair said:
They may still school, but same species is always best for seeing behavior and in case they want to breed.

Ok, so they may school, but I know I don't have room for both julii and the three line cories. I would just go one way or another. But can they actually breed together?
Took a look today at what cories they had and the picture showed the three lined cory and they named it the C. Julii. But they didn't acutually have the fish in to really tell.
But I did notice that they a long-finned black skirt tetra. Is their much of a difference between the regular finned and the long finned?

There isn't too much difference between the regular skirts and the long finned skirts. I have had both. The long finned skirts do get a but bigger, they are still fine for your tank. I, personally, prefer the long finned ones. They remind me of angels.
As for the cories, I don't know off the top of my head if they can interbreed or not, but they probably wouldn't choose to even if they could. My tris school with my C. elegans. They will often school with other cories that look similar to them. That said, you may as well get all of one or the other. Like Coursair said, true julii are not common in the hobby, so you probably won't have the chance to get both varieties anyways. ;)

Alright sounds good! Ya the cory question was just out of curiosity, kinda like if you breed dogs, if it would give you a strange Hibred or something. I keep on doing the research on these fish and I'm getting excited! I have been stopping by the lfs to "spy" on my fish, making sure they are healthy and happy. I found that one of the skirtted tetras missing a gill, don't know if it was bullied or what- started that in a different thread since it doesn't really anything to do with these one.

Tested the water tonight and got:
Amm: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10-20ish I can't quite tell the difference in colors on that API kit.
Ph: 7.8
This is after I put in the seeded filter, plastic plants, and a few river rocks from my ten gal.
I am planning on getting tetras first, danios, bn pleco, then cories last. I will be giving them 2-3 wks inbetween and quartine everyone in an extra ten gal and hope all goes well! Still extremely excited don't know if I'll sleep much tonight. XD
Think I am ready for any fish yet???

Oh my gosh I absolutly adore these fish!!!!!!
I just love them! Makes me want to redo some of my other tanks so that I could have more ;)
They have already warmed up to me and mom. Usually the fish would just run and hide for a few weeks then come around, but not these guys. Even when I was working to put the background on they huddled around whatever corner I was at. :)
Love how the do everything together.

Now after reading some more about tetras during work(shh don't tell the boss!). I read that when tetras school the sick ones seem to be left out. I have a rather small skirt that seems to get left behind or just wonders on its own on the other side of the tank. I've seen one of the bigger ones get left behind and it seems to panic until it sees the rest of the group. Is that normal?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120427_193619.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_193619.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20120427_193702.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_193702.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20120427_193835.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_193835.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 50
absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, its honestly pretty normal. How many did you get?

They seem more relaxed today, not schooling as close. I was able to get all six, they are nearly as bad as my guppies when taking pictures.
Mom is having fun counting this morning she kept losing track. ;)

All is going well. They are now more spread out and comfortable. They look more like piranha when they eat. So much fun to watch. :)
Tested yesterday:
Amm: .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-20
I changed the water and will be testing again tonight.
Plan on getting more anubis plants and some different swords tonight. :)

Tetra1990 said:
Those blackskirts are pretty! I might have to get me a school now. Lol

Ya didn't think that I would like them too much at first, but now I absolutly love them!! Makes me want to get some more for my other tanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom