20 Gallon Long, Misson Possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally did it! Finally convinced mother to put another tank in the house! Though the best part is that its going in her room! Got just the tank at a yard sale for $7 went to petsmart and got the filter and hood and a little bonsi tree.
She is picking out her deco. She is going with a bonsi tree setting including the bubble waterfall(don't know if it'll fit yet, maybe too tall). Going to deck it out with plants, too.
She wants sand just unsure the color, most of the items have a brown, brite green, and grayish rocks. White didn't look right, brown looked ok, what other colors would go with it?
As for fish I was thinking on getting her some cories or other bottom dwellers. She wants some green nitrite snails, but she is wanting some energetic middle/top fish, not too sure what. Any ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120422_181902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120422_181902.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 131
I think I know the bonsi tree your talking about. I don't know if it's water safe. Sounds like a cool tank theme. I have a 29 gallon, really want a 5 or 10 gallon planted shrimp tank as well:)

Tetra1990 said:
I think I know the bonsi tree your talking about. I don't know if it's water safe. Sounds like a cool tank theme. I have a 29 gallon, really want a 5 or 10 gallon planted shrimp tank as well:)

Ya I think I would like to know if they are safe before I buy them. You get them at petsmart in the fish department, I thought that most fish decorations would be aquatic safe?
I went yardsaling this last weekend looking for pots and ended up with a 20gal and 2 -10gal instead. I am up to 8 tanks so far. ;)

Actually, I think they are sold primarily for reptiles. But a lot of that stuff is interchangeable. +1 for making sure it's safe for fish.

Ya did a little research on those, one is made by topfin the other is all for reptiles. So I think we are good there, any suggestions on stock or sand?

For some energy, you can look into purple passion danios. They are also all the varieties/colors of zebra danios too, but I personally think the purple passion are prettier.
You could go with lemon tetras or black skirts as a second school for some size variation.

absolutangel04 said:
For some energy, you can look into purple passion danios. They are also all the varieties/colors of zebra danios too, but I personally think the purple passion are prettier.
You could go with lemon tetras or black skirts as a second school for some size variation.

Oh those passion danios look great! As for the zebra ones, the passions look way better. I would definatly look for the lemon tetras, how many would you suggest for the 20g?
I have heard tetras are hard to keep, have any tips?
Since I am seeding this tank, so it won't take long to cycle. Will that make a difference since it is a new tank?

That is a good way to cycle your tank. :)
You can easily do 6 of each fish in your tank. You would also still have space for some otos or pitbull plecos.

absolutangel04 said:
That is a good way to cycle your tank. :)
You can easily do 6 of each fish in your tank. You would also still have space for some otos or pitbull plecos.

Cool!
I am planning on another getting another BN pleco, they are just soo cute :)
Would you suggest any other bottom dwellers?

Cories are the easiest to find. There are also kuhli loaches. Most of the other small bottom dwellers that I know of are pretty hard to find. But, there are so many cories species that I think there is a cory for everybody. :)

Ok so I went to my lfs to see what they have in stock. They had some pearl danios, they looked rather pretty. Most of the zebras looked sickly, except for these. Glad they were in a different tank. They also had some gold prisilla tetras. Is there much of a different between them and the lemons?

Just an update. Put a seeded filter, fake plants from another tank, and some brown sand in today. Still cloudy.... I tried very hard to keep it low and slow.
Waiting on tax return to get the rest of the deco.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120424_195937.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120424_195937.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 102
Ok so I went to my lfs to see what they have in stock. They had some pearl danios, they looked rather pretty. Most of the zebras looked sickly, except for these. Glad they were in a different tank. They also had some gold prisilla tetras. Is there much of a different between them and the lemons?
Well, pristellas are a totally different species. However, they are perfectly fine for your tank. They are peaceful, pretty little schoolers.
I like pearl danios as well. They act similar to the zebra danios, but I personally think they are prettier.

From what I've noticed, Pristillas tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank, or at least mine do... Bleeding hearts are great for mid to upper swimmers

Wow, its amazing to an untrained person that these fish seem to look so alike. I remember reading some where that tetra was a common name for some fish even if they aren't the same species. Still they are very pretty, but if they are near the bottom it might be a bit much.
Mom likes the black skirts instead, she says it reminds her about my german ram I have in another tank.

So far I will have is:
1 BN pleco
6 black skirt tetras
5-6 cories- between emerald and julii- can't figure out which one. :p

Could I still add the danios? It seems like it would be a bit overstocked?

Yes, you could still add the danios to that stock list.

The emerald cories are not technically cories, they are actually brochis. But, they are very similar. They will get bigger than the julii, so I suggest going with the julii in this case.

absolutangel04 said:
Yes, you could still add the danios to that stock list.

The emerald cories are not technically cories, they are actually brochis. But, they are very similar. They will get bigger than the julii, so I suggest going with the julii in this case.

So glad your helping me, I would be so lost. lol
I know my livebearers and plecos still learning on others. ;)
Mom liked the julii's more anyway, just having fun trying to find someone to order some. :)
Thanks for you help!

Starka said:
So glad your helping me, I would be so lost. lol
I know my livebearers and plecos still learning on others. ;)
Mom liked the julii's more anyway, just having fun trying to find someone to order some. :)
Thanks for you help!

Just don't be shocked if you end up with Corydoras trilineatus instead of C. julii. It can be very hard to get TRUE julii. Check the facial/head markings.

Coursair said:
Just don't be shocked if you end up with Corydoras trilineatus instead of C. julii. It can be very hard to get TRUE julii. Check the facial/head markings.

So the three lined cories are the fake julii's I've been reading about. I will double check to see if they are true julii's. As for the tank would it matter if I came home with the trilineatus instead?
I kinda like them more with all their squiggly lines. ;)

Back
Top Bottom