20 gallon long stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afterwinter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope it is ok that I opened a new thread here since I thought maybe this was a better place for stocking ideas.

Setup: 20 gallon long, Fluval C2 filter, Lights: one T8 bulb with plans for a Finnex Planted 24/7 fixture in the future.

Plants: 2 types of crypts, ludwigia, hornwort, 2 types of anubias, 2 types of java fern, a tiny bit of java moss and 3 moss balls. I also have a few pieces of driftwood, rocks, and sand substrate. I use Excel about 2 times a week and that is all besides Prime or Stress Coat.

Current temp is 78, levels are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10, PH is 7.8
I currently have an active sponge filter helping add more BB to my tank after using medicine. I was thinking of keeping it in the tank during stocking to help keep the levels as stable as possible.

So I currently have: 1 male betta, 1 zebra nerite snail, 2 ghost shrimp and 7 pygmy cories

This was my original plan:
7 pygmy cory
7-9 green neons
1 male betta
1 snail
2 ghost shrimp

My betta seems a stressed by the new tank and filter so I was considering moving him to an empty 6.6 gallon long that I have with a gentle filter and no other fish. If so I have more options.

Some of my ideas, trying to get contrast of color :
7 pygmy cory
7-9 green neons
7-9 ruby tetra
maybe a dwarf gourami?

7 pygmy cory
7-9 strawberry rasbora
5 emperor tetra
some colorful shrimp

7 pygmy cory
7-9 ember tetra
7 purple harlequin rasbora
maybe a very small centerpiece fish

I wasn't sure if dwarf cichlids or peacock grudgeons would be mean to my cories but if not I would consider adding those instead of schooling fish to the tank.

AqAdvisor says all of my ideas are fine stocking wise but I am hoping for advice or ideas just to be safe since I will have to order some online. Thanks :)

I think I like the last stocking. Idk, not a fan of cories for some reason. And I'll have to look up some of those as not available here. :(

I lucked out and found the purple harlequins at a chain of all places and the tanks were really clean and the fish there all looked healthy so I felt good buying them. So that was an easy choice. I am not sure what other small fish I want to add, but something with color.

The strawberry rasboras I found out about through watching msjinkzd on youtube. I have come to really love the small tetras and rasboras.

I am trying to figure out what in the world to do with my betta. I thought he had fin rot and would get better once in cycled water, or when I medicated my catfish, but his fins look terrible. I think it is actually a combination of blowing out and tail biting. They say it is usually boredom or stress from other betta nearby. That doesn't fit his situation. I baffled my filter but he is still looking bad. I added almond leaves, stress coat and even tried bettafix. I wonder if a small tank by himself would help, or if moving to a small tank would also stress him out. I definitely can't afford to give him his own 20 gallon. Hrm, what to do with him...

I found bare bottom tank (with some ornaments/plants for aesthetics), very large water changes and clean water helped but yeah, those long fins are hard to keep healthy.

Yeah, my poor little betta; he is just a mess. I am going to move him this week because I am almost positive it is fin biting from stress. I think he is actually scared of the other fish. He has been hiding in the plants and comes out only for food. I really hope once he gets his own place he will recover quickly. My last betta was a rescue and he did so well with just clean, cycled water and a nice tank for himself.

I was going to add something like ember tetra or chili rasbora as my last addition to the tank. My family is saying that I keep getting little fish that just blend in :p So they want something bigger and more colorful for the last fish.

So I am debating going with something more like guppies or platies. AqAdvisor says I could add 3 platies, or 3 guppies, or 9 green neon tetra. Are guppies really that messy that I could only do 3? I admit I have not had them since I was a kid because I was trying to avoid babies. I was also considering a betta sorority but I am too worried how that would go after my poor male betta has been so stressed. Too many nice fish to choose!

Back
Top Bottom