20 Gallon over stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do think it is overstocked but only because IMO the platties are the only fish in there that can really thrive in a 20 gal.

Hoplo catfish get up to 4", I would say especially if it's a 20 high and not a 20 long this is too small for them. While I don't have experience with the hoplo specifically, I know that 4" catfish in general need more space than that.

IMO mollies do not belong in a 20 gal tank. They get up to 5" and at that size have massive bio-loads.

I think 29 gals is the minimum for BN pleco, and 40 for butterfly. They also get to 4" and 5" with big bio-loads. The only pleco I would do in a 20 gal is the pitbull pleco. I think a couple hillstream loaches or 4 oto cats make better algae eaters for 20's.

Julii corydoras as well as pandas are great choices for 20 gals IMO/E. Julli's max out at about 1.5" and panda's at 2". Just watch out for the bigger ones like albino's and emeralds that would get too large for your tank. Cories should be stocked in groups of 4 as a minimum, but 6 is what is recommended.

i like these Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Rio-Negro Pleco (L 135)
p-89882-candy-stripe.jpg

Those also reach 4" so 29+ gal is generally what's considered best for them. They are cool plecs tho :)

I do think it is overstocked but only because IMO the platties are the only fish in there that can really thrive in a 20 gal.

Hoplo catfish get up to 4", I would say especially if it's a 20 high and not a 20 long this is too small for them. While I don't have experience with the hoplo specifically, I know that 4" catfish in general need more space than that.

IMO mollies do not belong in a 20 gal tank. They get up to 5" and at that size have massive bio-loads.

I think 29 gals is the minimum for BN pleco, and 40 for butterfly. They also get to 4" and 5" with big bio-loads. The only pleco I would do in a 20 gal is the pitbull pleco. I think a couple hillstream loaches or 4 oto cats make better algae eaters for 20's.

Julii corydoras as well as pandas are great choices for 20 gals IMO/E. Julli's max out at about 1.5" and panda's at 2". Just watch out for the bigger ones like albino's and emeralds that would get too large for your tank. Cories should be stocked in groups of 4 as a minimum, but 6 is what is recommended.

Ok, thanks for the info guys!

I'm going to upgrade to a 40g tank later on this year so hopefulyl they won't get too big before then...

I thought Mollies only got to 3" max?

(Also, i say it's 20g, but i gather US gallons and EU gallons differ, it's 90L which i believe is 29g in US)

My dimensions are 25" x 13" x 18" so based on your dimensions being 29g, mine works out approx 27 gallons...

So if thats the case hopefully if i get a couple of guppies i shouldn't be over stocked (i'm taking the common pleco back and going to get a Rio Negro Pleco instead) - was hoping to get a couple of bolivian rams instead of the guppies but think that may be pushing it a little too farl!!

I didn't even know they existed - they look much nicer than the common pleco... and.... i just descovered a new LFS about 20 mins away and they stock Rio's! (y)

Thanks again!

That's a 25 gal tank. IMO still much too small for a 5" pleco.

Yes on the mollies size, especially the female mollies. They get bigger than any livebearer I've seen, and create mass waste. I hadn't seen them over 3" myself until recently and I kept hearing it on here and sure enough, it's absolutely fact. If you don't already have one you need the API master test kit before adding anymore fish...so you can keep an eye on water parameters. This is one the main factors that should let you know if your tank is overstocked. If there's never ammo/nitrite in the water and a weekly partial water change keeps the nitrates from exceeding 20, then you know your tank can't handle the stock, atleast at the sizes they are currently at.

Ok, thanks Siva, i'm picking up a test kit today...

How long before the Mollies become too big (i only ask as i am going to get a bigger tank within a year so not sure if i can keep them until then or should return them if poss)?

henry1245 said:
Ok, thanks Siva, i'm picking up a test kit today...

How long before the Mollies become too big (i only ask as i am going to get a bigger tank within a year so not sure if i can keep them until then or should return them if poss)?

I think you'll be fine for now, but in a few months (like 6), they'll start getting big.

I agree, if you're getting a test kit and plan to upgrade soonish you'll be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom