20 gallon planted tank-dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lol. I know I started a 3 gallon planted thread a while back, but I'm determined to stick with this. I'll be getting the tank and stuff in the summer. Right now I need tips with plants. I'm probably going to end up upgrading my lights, do I need co2? I really hate the idea of it. People put soil and stuff under the main substrate, does this benefit the plants at all? It's going to be heavily planted mostly with plants in the same biotope as dwarf puffers, a large piece or two of snake river driftwood, and then two or more medium -large pieces of black lava rock. If I leave this thread for a while, I'll come back to it and craft it into a build thread. Thanks.
*EDIT I also want to make a cave for them. I saw this in the DIY section, it looked nice. Oh! I want to create a cave, but on every visible side I want completely covered in java moss. (not in their biotope but it'll still be awesome!)

Last edited:
When it comes to plants, you need to know what kind of requirements they need. If you are going to start a good planted tank, you are going to need to focus on lighting (Depending on what type of lighting you have will determine if you need C02 or not), ferts (Dry or liquid; I prefer dry), and substrate.

Even if you need C02, there is many alternative diy ways to provide it. Also, yes, the soil benefits the plants just it would to its dry brotherin

I'm a dummy on plants and lighting. What type of bulb would I need for high lighted plants? Link? ( not even sure of plants just want to know.) What type of substrate should I put under the sand to keep the plants thriving?

Last edited:
Well, you are going to need a around a full spectrum of light to get good growth. I would say at least 1 6500k bulb and 1 10000k bulb.

Most people that use soil under their substrate usually use Miracle Gro potting soil.

Could I get away with those bulbs, and no c02 ? Could I grow dwarf hair grass in that lighting? (dumb question) but how do I put two bulbs in one fixture?

I'm a fan of the potting soil. I'm carpeting plants in my 125 with no co2 or fert dosing. It has miracle gro potting soil. I'm carpeting plants with BBA in my 40 breeder with co2 and fert dosing. I'm convinced the potting soil has magical powers.

As far as putting 2 bulbs in one fixture, you get a fixture made for 2 bulbs :)

mfdrookie516 said:
I'm a fan of the potting soil. I'm carpeting plants in my 125 with no co2 or fert dosing. It has miracle gro potting soil. I'm carpeting plants with BBA in my 40 breeder with co2 and fert dosing. I'm convinced the potting soil has magical powers.

As far as putting 2 bulbs in one fixture, you get a fixture made for 2 bulbs :)

. That makes sense. ;) Awesome news about the potting soil. How much do you expect the two bulbs to be?

You could probably get away without using Co2. Depending on what fixture you get will depend on how much the bulb is. Most are a good price. What type of light fixture are you goIng to use and how many watts; we would need to know how many watts you have before we can say if you can grow dwarf hair grass.

Does anyone know a good site to buy driftwood from? I can't find the driftwood I want anywhere.

I have 2 tanks with sand over potting soil. While they are relatively new, I have been enjoying slow and steady growth and minimal algae. With a few nerite snails an RCS in my tank, I have yet to scrape either tank. The only cleaning I do is of my filters at the scheduled time and of the front of the glass, since my dogs get their nose schmootz all over it :)

I couldn't just dose with this stuff instead of actual c02? And put root tabs in over and over?

I don't use CO2, but I do use Flourish Excel. I am very happy with my plant growth but I do NOT get some of the crazy vibrant reds and super lush rapid growth that some of the high light CO2 users do.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

One thing that my dwarf puffer tank has is lots of nooks and crannys and enough tall plants to block line of sight. It allows them a bit of breathing room when they grow tired of chasing each other around the tank.

Back
Top Bottom