Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

20 Gallon Stocking HELP NEEDED

Hey! I recently purchased a 20 gallon and set it up<3 So far, I have an idea for my stock and I'd love if someone could evaluate it

6x Bloodfin Tetra
6x Glowlight Tetra
2x Nerite Snail
1x Male Betta
10x Ghost Shrimp

According to AqAdvisor

I'm at 79% stocking with 139% filtration level

Is this a good setup? Will the two tetras school together Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8405.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	304376

Old 10-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

They might mix but i wouldn't say school together, and yes, I would say that's a good stocking and setup!

Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

20 Gallon Stocking HELP NEEDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
They might mix but i wouldn't say school together, and yes, I would say that's a good stocking and setup!

Sweet!!! It's my first time truthfully knowing kinda what I'm doing and I'm so anxious to get my fish! I was mildly nervous about mixing the tetras? But, I'm glad they should mix!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Haha yeah tetras in groups are easy going and very peaceful, as for the stocking order, I would add the beta last just because if hes first he could become territorial and bully them. However if you need to add him in first just rearrange the tank when you add the other fish to slightly confuse him and make him become non territorial when adding. You know about cycling and only adding a few fish at a time so the filter has time to adjust right?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Haha yeah tetras in groups are easy going and very peaceful, as for the stocking order, I would add the beta last just because if hes first he could become territorial and bully them. However if you need to add him in first just rearrange the tank when you add the other fish to slightly confuse him and make him become non territorial when adding. You know about cycling and only adding a few fish at a time so the filter has time to adjust right?

Yeah! I'm wondering if I'll be okay since a lot of the decorations and stuff came from my old tank? I kinda want to add the whole bloodfin school today, maybe glowlights if it wouldn't throw anything off too bad because they're so small, because I don't want to separate a school down too small and stress them out? Would it also help if I fished my old gravel out and did the nylon sock thing?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

If the old tank is still running with water yeah I would definitely put it into a nylon sock and use it as filter media, just help and make sure it's cycled. As for getting them, I would go get all 6 today, get a little beneficial bacteria pouch marineland makes and add that just to leave no doubt about water quality, then do a 30ish% water change tomorrow so there aren't any problems, wait a few days and add the other tetras then do a water change the following day, or later in the day depending on when you get them I would also add the shrimp before the betta just so he doesn't seem them going to the bottom and try to attack haha
Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
If the old tank is still running with water yeah I would definitely put it into a nylon sock and use it as filter media, just help and make sure it's cycled. As for getting them, I would go get all 6 today, get a little beneficial bacteria pouch marineland makes and add that just to leave no doubt about water quality, then do a 30ish% water change tomorrow so there aren't any problems, wait a few days and add the other tetras then do a water change the following day, or later in the day depending on when you get them I would also add the shrimp before the betta just so he doesn't seem them going to the bottom and try to attack haha

Thank you so much!!!! You've been such a big help! Would the shrimp or snails possibly be okay after the tetras? Or should I wait a few weeks before getting them?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh yeah they'd be fine with the tetras, tetras are about as peaceful as you can get in groups! I would wait around a week or so before adding the shrimp but snails anytime. Also if it's possible I would try to quarantine the betta for a week or so in a separate tank just because of the terrible conditions most seem to come in unless your lfs takes good care of them then I would say just add him in!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Oh yeah they'd be fine with the tetras, tetras are about as peaceful as you can get in groups! I would wait around a week or so before adding the shrimp but snails anytime. Also if it's possible I would try to quarantine the betta for a week or so in a separate tank just because of the terrible conditions most seem to come in unless your lfs takes good care of them then I would say just add him in!

Thank you!!!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

No problem!! Just lmk if you need anymore help and good luck with it all!

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking, stocking help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com