Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-15-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ToastyHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 76
20 Gallon Stocking HELP NEEDED

Hey! I recently purchased a 20 gallon and set it up<3 So far, I have an idea for my stock and I'd love if someone could evaluate it

6x Bloodfin Tetra
6x Glowlight Tetra
2x Nerite Snail
1x Male Betta
10x Ghost Shrimp

According to AqAdvisor

I'm at 79% stocking with 139% filtration level

Is this a good setup? Will the two tetras school together Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8405.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	304376
__________________

__________________
ToastyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IHaveAquariums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 80
They might mix but i wouldn't say school together, and yes, I would say that's a good stocking and setup!
__________________

__________________
IHaveAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ToastyHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 76
20 Gallon Stocking HELP NEEDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
They might mix but i wouldn't say school together, and yes, I would say that's a good stocking and setup!


Sweet!!! It's my first time truthfully knowing kinda what I'm doing and I'm so anxious to get my fish! I was mildly nervous about mixing the tetras? But, I'm glad they should mix!
__________________
ToastyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IHaveAquariums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 80
Haha yeah tetras in groups are easy going and very peaceful, as for the stocking order, I would add the beta last just because if hes first he could become territorial and bully them. However if you need to add him in first just rearrange the tank when you add the other fish to slightly confuse him and make him become non territorial when adding. You know about cycling and only adding a few fish at a time so the filter has time to adjust right?
__________________
IHaveAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ToastyHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
Haha yeah tetras in groups are easy going and very peaceful, as for the stocking order, I would add the beta last just because if hes first he could become territorial and bully them. However if you need to add him in first just rearrange the tank when you add the other fish to slightly confuse him and make him become non territorial when adding. You know about cycling and only adding a few fish at a time so the filter has time to adjust right?


Yeah! I'm wondering if I'll be okay since a lot of the decorations and stuff came from my old tank? I kinda want to add the whole bloodfin school today, maybe glowlights if it wouldn't throw anything off too bad because they're so small, because I don't want to separate a school down too small and stress them out? Would it also help if I fished my old gravel out and did the nylon sock thing?
__________________
ToastyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IHaveAquariums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 80
If the old tank is still running with water yeah I would definitely put it into a nylon sock and use it as filter media, just help and make sure it's cycled. As for getting them, I would go get all 6 today, get a little beneficial bacteria pouch marineland makes and add that just to leave no doubt about water quality, then do a 30ish% water change tomorrow so there aren't any problems, wait a few days and add the other tetras then do a water change the following day, or later in the day depending on when you get them I would also add the shrimp before the betta just so he doesn't seem them going to the bottom and try to attack haha
__________________
IHaveAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ToastyHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
If the old tank is still running with water yeah I would definitely put it into a nylon sock and use it as filter media, just help and make sure it's cycled. As for getting them, I would go get all 6 today, get a little beneficial bacteria pouch marineland makes and add that just to leave no doubt about water quality, then do a 30ish% water change tomorrow so there aren't any problems, wait a few days and add the other tetras then do a water change the following day, or later in the day depending on when you get them I would also add the shrimp before the betta just so he doesn't seem them going to the bottom and try to attack haha


Thank you so much!!!! You've been such a big help! Would the shrimp or snails possibly be okay after the tetras? Or should I wait a few weeks before getting them?
__________________
ToastyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IHaveAquariums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 80
Oh yeah they'd be fine with the tetras, tetras are about as peaceful as you can get in groups! I would wait around a week or so before adding the shrimp but snails anytime. Also if it's possible I would try to quarantine the betta for a week or so in a separate tank just because of the terrible conditions most seem to come in unless your lfs takes good care of them then I would say just add him in!
__________________
IHaveAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ToastyHippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
Oh yeah they'd be fine with the tetras, tetras are about as peaceful as you can get in groups! I would wait around a week or so before adding the shrimp but snails anytime. Also if it's possible I would try to quarantine the betta for a week or so in a separate tank just because of the terrible conditions most seem to come in unless your lfs takes good care of them then I would say just add him in!


Thank you!!!!!
__________________
ToastyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
IHaveAquariums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 80
No problem!! Just lmk if you need anymore help and good luck with it all!
__________________

__________________
IHaveAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking, stocking help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
29 gallon aquarium stocking and help needed MichaelTheGreat Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 09-21-2017 04:30 AM
Upgrading from a 30 gallon tank to 75 gallon help needed Joel108 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 08-04-2014 11:20 AM
Help with stocking levels needed please! wakijaki Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 08-21-2011 07:16 PM
55 gallon stocking suggestions needed SeymourFRESH Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 05-14-2006 08:56 PM
Stocking Help Needed - 55 Gal Sandy02 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 10 12-04-2004 08:15 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.