Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

20 gallon stocking question

Hi I'm new to aquarium and fish keeping. I been reading up on "cycling" and water quality and all the information. I have a 20 gallon cycled tank. I have 5 black skirt tetras. I read they are peaceful and many consider them semi aggressive. I feel they are semi aggressive and fin nippers. I witnessed it and rehomed the fish who were getting attacked. I know some people say no go doing tiger barbs with black skirt tetras. I feel it won't be a problem as I see more actually aggression from black skirts then I do with tiger barbs. My question to all of you is can I fit 5 black skirts and 6-7 tiger barbs (currently babies) in a 20 gallon tank with a 40 gallon hob filter and doing water tests every other day and water changes if nitrates are high? Would that be ok if not why? Thanks everyone.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tiger barbs are very aggressive. You could do 5-6 if it was just them in the tank, they get bigger.
I would do more black skirts or go with the white skirt tetra if you want colour variety.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also think you need to up the number of black skirts
Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree. Do not mix tiger barbs with black skirts.

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, question, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com