20 gallon (tall) dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I went to look at a 20 gallon tank I found listed on Craigslist. He is asking 65$. Everything is included, no stand. Here's the problem... It is woefully stocked. In the tank is one Clown Loach, one Pleco (unknown type), one Bala Shark, one Gourami (unknown type, very shiny blue), one Tetra looking guy (deep red), one clam, two Cories, three Bolivian Rams. I told him that, for the price, it would be a big headache for me to fix this with all the rehoming I would have to do but he was set on 65$. I gave him a quick rundown of what he needed to do to keep the tank healthy and the fish alive and left it at that. Well, I just got an email from him asking me to make an offer so I guess his wife yelled at him for not getting rid of it when he had the chance. ;) IYO, what should I offer?

Included is: fish, a small chunk of driftwood, a few big chunks of slate and a few big chunks of some porous rock, hood w/LED light (very low light), gravel (white crush coral looking stuff), small Anacharis bunch, heater, filter, leftover food, net, yada yada.

Maybe little less than 65$ like hmm 55? I don't know maybe less .

Start at say 35 or 40 then negotiate but dont pay more than 55 I think.

Well, I personally would start out at like $30. He would likely want a bit more for it, but like you said, you have quite a bit to do on it. I wouldn't pay more than like $40 for it though.

Also check and see if your LFS pays for fish. You could end up getting away with paying 30 dollars in the long run.

GodFan said:
Also check and see if your LFS pays for fish. You could end up getting away with paying 30 dollars in the long run.

I know one of my LFS will take all the fish. He gives, at most, 50% retail value in store credit.

I really want a BIG tank so I'm going to have to think on this.

I would go for it. You cant get a 20 tall almost complete kit for that cheap.

blert said:
I know one of my LFS will take all the fish. He gives, at most, 50% retail value in store credit.

I really want a BIG tank so I'm going to have to think on this.

Get a big tank too! A 20g tall will fit snugly in a corner out of the way leaving plenty of room for the larger one ;)

I wouldn't buy that tank at all. You would be better off getting a 20g long at Petsmart or petco on sale. Then you could get all the decorations, fish, lighting, heater, filters etc that you want, and you won't be stuck with extremely problematic stocking.

Mumma.of.two said:
Get a big tank too! A 20g tall will fit snugly in a corner out of the way leaving plenty of room for the larger one ;)
LOL! I think my wife would kill me. I have found a 55g that I hope to go look at tomorrow.

Just keep wating. criagslist will come up with somthing bigger and better. I seen someone around me selling a 250g with EVERYTHING. lgihts, hood, gravel, stand, fake plants, heaters, 2 canister filters, driftwood, and like 30 fish for only $500!!!

NYgiantsRP said:
Just keep wating. criagslist will come up with somthing bigger and better. I seen someone around me selling a 250g with EVERYTHING. lgihts, hood, gravel, stand, fake plants, heaters, 2 canister filters, driftwood, and like 30 fish for only $500!!!

I wish I lived in the US! You guys have the cheapest tanks!! Something like that would go for $1500 easy over here.

Mumma.of.two said:
I wish I lived in the US! You guys have the cheapest tanks!! Something like that would go for $1500 easy over here.

Well we have to pay for water, and in most states we can't have tanks outside... :/

maxwellag said:
Well we have to pay for water, and in most states we can't have tanks outside... :/

We have to pay for water too just not in the extremes you guys do. We get a certain amount for a flat rate and if we go over we have to pay excess. Tanks outside are cool!! :D (y)

No paying for aquarium water here. :) I just fill my five gallon jugs up when the sprinklers come on. It's a 'two birds, one stone' kinda thing. Do the same for topping off the pool.

Back
Top Bottom