20 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my first tank! 20 gallons and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how maintain a good tropical community and some good fish to get. I currently have a dalmatian molly and an orange glofish. Any advice would be great!

I found this chart pretty informative.

Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart

Besides worrying about fish attacking each other, you should also check to see if they'll thrive in similar ph, kh level and water temperature. You also don't want to keep a lot of fish that swim in the same level/position of the tank, so make sure you spread them out, get some top dwellers, middle swimmers and bottom dwellers to avoid crowding.

First off, :welcome: to AA! :)

Secondly, congratulations! :)

Finally, it's all up to you. There are hundreds of community fish you can choose from that can fit in a twenty gallon. Give us some fish you like and we could go from there. Do your research. And most importantly, read this! It's the most important thing your fish will ever want you to read: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I found this chart pretty informative.

Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart

Besides worrying about fish attacking each other, you should also check to see if they'll thrive in similar ph, kh level and water temperature. You also don't want to keep a lot of fish that swim in the same level/position of the tank, so make sure you spread them out, get some top dwellers, middle swimmers and bottom dwellers to avoid crowding.

I would use that chart as a rough guide, but not something to go by like the Constitution. It really all depends on the fish and what type of species they are.

Lots of fish can thrive in different pH and temperatures and all live together...

Thanks! I'm super excited to finally have a tank. Just worried about not doing the right thing. Ive been thinking about going to get a peppered cory tonight but don't know if I should because I added the Molly a few days ago. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks! I'm super excited to finally have a tank. Just worried about not doing the right thing. Ive been thinking about going to get a peppered cory tonight but don't know if I should because I added the Molly a few days ago. Thanks for the advice.

Did you cycle the tank beforehand? Cories have to be in schools of six or more.

I have 4 peppered cories and they are by far my favorite fish that I have! Just remember they like to be in groups of about 6. I am going to add more soon, just thought that I'd give you the heads up though!

I cycled when I added the Molly. Should I for the Cory? Didn't know they needed to be in schools of 6! Maybe that's why my first one died in the crappy 10 gallon I had lol.

Ah okay, could you give us the readings of the ammo, nitrite, and nitrate readings in your tank please? If they are all fine with nitrates being at a minimal level (less than 20, or sometimes 40 ppm is acceptable) then you can add the cories.

Ah okay, could you give us the readings of the ammo, nitrite, and nitrate readings in your tank please? If they are all fine with nitrates being at a minimal level (less than 20, or sometimes 40 ppm is acceptable) then you can add the cories.

Yes, parameters please. How long did you cycle the tank with the Molly? I'm not quite sure that the tank is truly cycled. Also Glofish are schooling fish so I don't think that one alone is going to be very happy.

I don't have anything I can use to test the levels lol. I'm such a rookie! What sort of equipment should I buy to test the levels?

Alright. Thanks alot y'all. Now just to be sure when I say that I cycled, basically I removed some water, replaced and purified. Hope that was good enough.

Ok cool. Sorry I was confused. Thanks for all the help. I'm headin to pet smart for some corys! Any experience with shrimp or anything like that?

Welcome! Did you read the link from bruins about cycling? That should clarify a few things. Cycling refers to building up levels of beneficial bacteria that neutralize ammonia wastes from the fish. Basically.

Back
Top Bottom