20 gallon tank stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pictus17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the site and I have a 55 gallon community and 2.5 gallon with a female betta in it. I have a new 20 gallon tank (long), fishless cycled and I'm trying to figure out what I would like to put in it. I think I would like to do a community tank but I' also interested in smaller African cichlids.Here is my favorite idea so far...'
-1 kuhli loach
-1 dwarf gourami
-7 rummy nose tetras

do you think this will work? I've always wanted to keep a kuhli loach, and I am fascinated with the shoaling behavior of rummies. I haven't been able to keep any rummies because they wouldn't last a week with my catfish and the kuhli would be out competed. I really like my idea as it is but if possible I would like to have another species of small tetra or barb in the tank. I am thinking maybe lemon tetras? Any suggestions would be appreciated and any changes recommended would be good. thanks.

Kuhli loaches would be much happier in a group. The more you have the more youll see them. I would get at least 5.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your stock sounds great, just that kuhlis need at least 5 or you'll never see them, in my 29 gallon( same footprint as yours) I had 8, and they where out all the time! I would add 8
I have 18 in my 55 gallon and you will not believe how active they are

I think I will add 6 or 7 kuhli loaches now that I know. A ram also seems like a good idea for the community. I've heard they are really peaceful compared to some of the other cichlids and from what I've seen, beautiful fish.Thanks so much to all of you for the advice!

Dont do the ram with the dwarf gourami. Pick one or the other... trust me.

Between a ram and a dwarf gourami, I'd recommend the ram. They're much more inquisitive and fun personalities in my experience. Gourami tend to just hang out, while my rams always come right to the front to do a little dance to beg for food any time they see me.

It's possible you could do both, pending the individual fish personalities and as long as you aquascape out two territories, but I'd have a backup plan in case it doesn't. I have a group of various three spot gourami morphs in my 75 gallon tank with a German Blue Ram with no issues, and three spots are usually way more territorial than dwarfs... Granted, this is in a much bigger tank than a 20 gallon, but the Ram and Gourami never seem to care about each other even when in tight quarters in my tank.

I find a male dwarf gourami will die after a few months with no female present

I find a male dwarf gourami will die after a few months with no female present

Thats not due to a lack of female, it's probably due to "Dwarf Gourami disease". It's incurable and affects only dwarf gourami. There are many, many people that keep lone male dwarf gourami just fine.

thanks again. I'm not one for risks, especially in a small tank. Neither a ram or a gourami could be relocated into my 55 gallon if they were over-territorial. I will think about my choice. I really do love both species but rams do have more personality like you said. I think I am leaning that way. I'm glad you think it will be a good tank.

I have a pearl gourami in my 55 gallon with two gbr's no issues. But when I was doing an experiment to see what was eating my plants I put the german blue rams in another tank with a dwarf gourami and proceeded to watch the dwarf gourami chase the rams through every cave and plant they tried to hide in. So I had to temporarily relocate the dwarf gourami.

My 2 bolivians and male dwarf gourami hang together and even hide in the same log togerher.

My 2 bolivians and male dwarf gourami hang together and even hide in the same log togerher.

Bolivians in my experience are much more willing to stand their ground than gbr's. I had a bolivian that constantly chased the angels away from the bottom, his terretory but he left the rainbow shark alone... go figure.

My Bolivian ram can't make up its mind. One time it will defend its territory from the electric blue ram or angel. The next it will be bullied away from its area by either. Between the 3 fish, they seem to take turns on dominance. This is in my 55. And sometimes all 3 will just hang out in the same spot without trying to run the out.

My Bolivian ram can't make up its mind. One time it will defend its territory from the electric blue ram or angel. The next it will be bullied away from its area by either. Between the 3 fish, they seem to take turns on dominance. This is in my 55. And sometimes all 3 will just hang out in the same spot without trying to run the out.

Right in a 55 you have more room to work with, in a 20 gallon I think they would be in too close proximity to get away from each other and again your talking about a bolivian ram and the op was considering a german blue ram. A bolivian IMO might fair better with a dwarf gourami than a GBR which may get picked on too much and GBR's dont do well with excessive stress.

Fair enough. I agree with you. The op should get a Bolivian. I was just pointing out that my Bolivian ram cannot make up its mind in its dominance in tank. The same Bolivian ram was in my old 20 but it's only tank mates were a pair of Bn Plecos and a betta. There really weren't any territory disputes back then.

Actually I went back and re read, the op only ever said "ram"" and didn't specify which type. Lol

Back
Top Bottom