20 gallon upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good morning all! Just set up my new 20 gallon tank last night! Running my old established filter with the new filter for a bit to try to help along the bacteria growth.

Right now, I have put 2 cories and 4 neon tetras into the new tank from the old tank. I'd like to get a few more of each so that they are in proper numbers for their schooling needs. Since there is so much debate, I am curious how many are too many?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So your question is how many cories and tetras can you do without doing to many?

I wouldn't put more than 8 cories (depending on the species).
And you could do like 20 neons as their bio load is so small.

What species are your cories?

I'm not sure honestly. I thought that was their species? Lol. right now I have one spotted and one albino.

If I were to get another type of tetra, will they school with my neons?

I'm not sure honestly. I thought that was their species? Lol. right now I have one spotted and one albino.

If I were to get another type of tetra, will they school with my neons?

Possibly yes,probably not so much.
Same on the cories.
Try to get all the same so they all hang out together.
It is that simple.
Being different colors/type/species may make them compatable which is important,but may not encourage the best schooling behavior IMO.
Many don't stock per advice given and have success and pleasure.
It is all in the fishkeepers eye and what they expect IMO.

In this area, at least by site, all the cories I have seen at different stores appear to be exactly the same. I usually buy from the same store so I don't think I need to worry.

I currently have 4 neon tetras, if I get more neons they will school even though I didn't get them at the same time? I may just do a few more neons, a few more cories and then a few of another type of fish, maybe a different tetra.

I don't want to overcrowd, since that is why I had to upgrade in the first place ;)

Yes the neons will welcome new members of their own type(species).
A issue to my recommendations is temp as many tetras have different temp preferencese.
Rummyu nose are known to the tightest schooling fish BARENONE!
They like 80+
Neons prefer mid 70's.
This is my concern besides your attention to schooling.
I would be surprised to see different fish "schooling" together in nature.
Swimming along side/compatible no big deal,but true schooling need similar species IMO.

Ok thanks. I'm still relatively new to the hobby and I just want happy fish!! :) what, in your opinion, is the minimum number that the neons should be in to be the happiest?

I remember reading the Cory cats do well in at least 5 or 6.

Corys will look just alike except for the colors usually. Different colors means different species. You want to keep them all the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So a spotted one and an albino would not count together? They are otherwise exactly alike (the 2 I have).

Oh! Did not know that! Thanks!

Usually if fish have the same shape they are in the same genus (group of closely related species) but the slightest differences in coloration/pattern can mean 2 are different species. Try to stick to one species of cory (return one of the ones you got and exchange it for one that is the same as your other one, and then get more of that 1 species you decide to stay with) and 1 species of tetra (just get one large group of neons). Then you can add a centerpiece later such as a honey dwarf gourami.

Back
Top Bottom