20 high or 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbahseng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i'm getting a 20 gallon tank and the price for 20 high and 20 long are the same. I was wondering which one should i get. I was thinking about the 20 long since it has bigger surface area. Should i go for 20 long or 20 high?

Depends on how much room you have, but I'd take the 20 long every time. More room to swim back and forth, more room for decor, and as you said, more surface area.

Thanks, i guess i will take the 20 long. By the way, is there any benefit of getting a high tank instead of a long tank?

Seahorses have special care requriements. And I would not classify them as brackish.

Never heard of a brackish or freshwater seahorse.

Alf posted some really good links about seahorses here a while back. Try a search on seahorses and see if you can dig them up.

;)

Go for the long :) I often wish my 20H was a 20L.. but, it's not :(

I chose a 20 high and kinda regret it in the end. I think it's a lot prettier than a long tank but obviously the surface area outweighs everything else. Plus, you could keep a lot more fish in a long than a high. The only benefit I could see is you can fit a high into a smaller space than the long...

in my defense, I wasn't saying it would be a good idea to get seahorses. I was saying they go well in a tall tank ;-)

-j

A 20 high stands out more as 20 long tanks are obviously more popular, but I'd choose the 20 long every time. All round, better value for money.

Back
Top Bottom