Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool 20 long starter stock.

OK so what do u guys think about 4 neon or black skert tetras to start off the cycling process. I do plan on keeping a schooling fish in the tank. Or maibe guppies cause they bread fast and I have a hungry crayfish. Any thoughts

Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Why not do a fishless cycle?

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK shure takes less time right... There is actually a bit of ammonia in there already because I used old rocks from an old discarded tank... I cleaned them but apparently it wasent enough so I have been thinking of doing a fishless cycle. But do u think I shouldn't use the rocks. The water was cloudy but It is not any more I had also thought the rocks contributed to the cloudy water. But like I said that has cleared up the ammonia in my empty tank is about 1.0ppm.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I suggest you test the water out of your tap because you may have ammo in that. If you don't want to keep the fish long-term, then I suggest either doing a fishless cycle, or just cycle with guppies if you want guppies.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish85
OK shure takes less time right... There is actually a bit of ammonia in there already because I used old rocks from an old discarded tank... I cleaned them but apparently it wasent enough so I have been thinking of doing a fishless cycle. But do u think I shouldn't use the rocks. The water was cloudy but It is not any more I had also thought the rocks contributed to the cloudy water. But like I said that has cleared up the ammonia in my empty tank is about 1.0ppm.
Do you have a test kit?
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

For shure I have a test kit the API master test kit and I have tested my tap water 0 ppm. Just want u to know I have done a fish in cycle before with much success. But I haven't done a fishless and I test all my water.
Tap water:
ammo: 0ppm
NitrItes: 0ppm
NitrAtes: 0ppm
Ph: 7.2

My new empty tank:
Ammo: 1.0 ppm
NitrItes: 0 ppm
NitrAtes: 0ppm
Ph: (kinda high) 7.6

I'm not aposed to doing a fishless cycle, I just never have. Always have done fish in cycling.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Good to know you have a test kit.
If you don't know what you want to stock the tank with yet, you may as well just start a fishless cycle.
If you what you want, then you can just get those. Between the neons and the skirt tetras, I think skirts might be better. Neons can be a little sensitive, but skirts are pretty hardy IME.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about guppies are they hardy enough for a cycle cause I think I wanna keep guppies instead of tetras there nicer looking IMO and I here they breed well and like I said I have a hungry crayfish who loves to catch Rosie goldfish
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Yes. Guppies should be fine through a cycle. In theory, there should never be enough ammo to hurt the fish during a fish-in cycle because you have to pwc all the time. But, sometimes it happens. I cycled a tank with guppies and they were all fine.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Exelent I'm still undecided if I wanna do a fish in or fishless cycle... Fish in is more work but I like looking at fishies not water lol plus I just did a fish in cycle for a 10 w/ platys and they turned out just fine. I may even move them to the 20... After it cycles of course,I don't wanna put them threw that again . So with that success I'm leaning toward fish in... Probably guppies.

Oh and kinda off toppic, where is everyone getting there prime water conditioner(its all I here about) and I can't seem to find it.( I use API )
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I think its on Amazon if your lfs doesn't have it.

Yeah, guppies are pretty fun. If you want lots of babies for feeders, I recommend Endler's livebearers because they don't eat the fry like guppies do. You often find them in the feeder guppy tanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not platy's? I think they have s larger bio-load then guppies. Just a thought.

Tags
long, starter, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com