20 long starter stock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish85

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK so what do u guys think about 4 neon or black skert tetras to start off the cycling process. I do plan on keeping a schooling fish in the tank. Or maibe guppies cause they bread fast and I have a hungry crayfish. Any thoughts

OK shure takes less time right... There is actually a bit of ammonia in there already because I used old rocks from an old discarded tank... I cleaned them but apparently it wasent enough so I have been thinking of doing a fishless cycle. But do u think I shouldn't use the rocks. The water was cloudy but It is not any more I had also thought the rocks contributed to the cloudy water. But like I said that has cleared up the ammonia in my empty tank is about 1.0ppm.

I suggest you test the water out of your tap because you may have ammo in that. If you don't want to keep the fish long-term, then I suggest either doing a fishless cycle, or just cycle with guppies if you want guppies.

fish85 said:
OK shure takes less time right... There is actually a bit of ammonia in there already because I used old rocks from an old discarded tank... I cleaned them but apparently it wasent enough so I have been thinking of doing a fishless cycle. But do u think I shouldn't use the rocks. The water was cloudy but It is not any more I had also thought the rocks contributed to the cloudy water. But like I said that has cleared up the ammonia in my empty tank is about 1.0ppm.

Do you have a test kit?

For shure I have a test kit the API master test kit and I have tested my tap water 0 ppm. Just want u to know I have done a fish in cycle before with much success. But I haven't done a fishless and I test all my water.
Tap water:
ammo: 0ppm
NitrItes: 0ppm
NitrAtes: 0ppm
Ph: 7.2

My new empty tank:
Ammo: 1.0 ppm
NitrItes: 0 ppm
NitrAtes: 0ppm
Ph: (kinda high) 7.6

I'm not aposed to doing a fishless cycle, I just never have. Always have done fish in cycling.

Good to know you have a test kit.
If you don't know what you want to stock the tank with yet, you may as well just start a fishless cycle.
If you what you want, then you can just get those. Between the neons and the skirt tetras, I think skirts might be better. Neons can be a little sensitive, but skirts are pretty hardy IME.

What about guppies are they hardy enough for a cycle cause I think I wanna keep guppies instead of tetras there nicer looking IMO and I here they breed well and like I said I have a hungry crayfish who loves to catch Rosie goldfish :)

Yes. Guppies should be fine through a cycle. In theory, there should never be enough ammo to hurt the fish during a fish-in cycle because you have to pwc all the time. But, sometimes it happens. I cycled a tank with guppies and they were all fine. :)

Exelent I'm still undecided if I wanna do a fish in or fishless cycle... Fish in is more work but I like looking at fishies not water lol plus I just did a fish in cycle for a 10 w/ platys and they turned out just fine. I may even move them to the 20... After it cycles of course,I don't wanna put them threw that again . So with that success I'm leaning toward fish in... Probably guppies.

:) Oh and kinda off toppic, where is everyone getting there prime water conditioner(its all I here about) and I can't seem to find it.( I use API )

I think its on Amazon if your lfs doesn't have it.

Yeah, guppies are pretty fun. If you want lots of babies for feeders, I recommend Endler's livebearers because they don't eat the fry like guppies do. You often find them in the feeder guppy tanks.

Why not platy's? I think they have s larger bio-load then guppies. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom