20 long stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 long that being stored at my grandmother's place. When my wife and I get our tax refund, I want to bring it to the apartment and get it going again. I was thinking about 7 Penguin Tetras and 5 Neon Dwarf Rainbows(Praecox). What do you think? I've never had either species. The AqAdvisor site puts the stocking level at 95%.

The rainbows may become a little crammed, they really like to swim and dart around. They could probably work, but if you get some that get up to 3" they may prefer a longer tank. Have you looked into other dwarf rainbows?

Pseudomugil furcatus
Telmatherina ladigesi
Iriatherina werneri

Others I would look into:

Celestial Pearl Danio
Chili rasbora
German Blue ram
Apistogramma

or increase the numbers and have 1 large school/shoal of tetras.

Just my thoughts anyway ;)

The Neon Dwarf Rainbows are very active and they really subdue the tetras and dominate the tank. I have 5 in a 29g that has the same length as a 20Long. You might want to do something on the bottom like kuhli’s or cories. IMG_2785.jpg

I recently added a 20G Long to my basement fish room collection. I created a female Betta sorority tank. I have 10 "girls" that get along fine. I do have one female who is a little too aggressive; I have her in a 3G tank by herself.

It was fun traveling to a few nearby Petcos (they have the biggest selection), PetSmart, and three family owned stores searching for the nicest ones. My favorites are the Koi Bettas. Google female Koi Betta and see how beatiful they are.

I think you and your wife would enjoy a tank like that.

I recently added a 20G Long to my basement fish room collection. I created a female Betta sorority tank. I have 10 "girls" that get along fine. I do have one female who is a little too aggressive; I have her in a 3G tank by herself.

It was fun traveling to a few nearby Petcos (they have the biggest selection), PetSmart, and three family owned stores searching for the nicest ones. My favorites are the Koi Bettas. Google female Koi Betta and see how beatiful they are.

Peaceful Bettas......then you can house all males together

Thanks, but I'm not really a Betta person. I want some active fish that shoal.

Still haven't decided what I want to put in the 20 long. Not sure about the Dwarf Neon Rainbows and Penguin Tetras I mentioned earlier. They're larger fish and I couldn't have many of them. Maybe Lemon Tetras and Cherry Barbs. I've had Lemons before on several occasions and in my experience they're fairly hardy and never were aggressive or nippy. And I've never had Cherry Barbs, so that would be a new species for me.

I don't think dwarf neon rainbows and penguin tetras are too big for a 20 long. How many of each are you wanting?

Dwarf Neon Rainbows get pretty darn big. I had a small school of 6 in my 29. One leapt out so now there are 5. I am considering rehoming them since they really seem too big for the tank.

They were about an inch long when I got them in Jan 2017. But now one of them is 2 1/2 - 3 inches.

Back
Top Bottom